trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Field trip lunch?

DD has a field trip coming up and I stumped as to what to send for her lunch. I want everything disposable (no ice packs, no insulated bad, ect), so she doesn’t have to deal with bring anything back. A peanut butter sandwich would be my go to in this situation, but she doesn’t like peanut butter. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our go to is a bagel with cream cheese, applesauce pouch and chips or crackers.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What does she normally take for lunch? A frozen Capri Sun or juice box can serve as a disposable ice pack. You may want to pack an extra drink as I haven’t found them sufficiently thawed by lunch time. But still I trust they won’t leak and I don’t mind the lost value of them if they’re tossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For our school field trips they always want everything disposable and suggest packing a frozen bottle of water to use as an ice pack, then putting that and the lunch in a doubled up grocery bag (I like Target bags, they are pretty durable!). We normally do peanut butter sandwiches, but I'd also do a cheese stick and pack the cheese next to the frozen water bottle. Or a Go-gurt type yogurt thing. I also send ziplock bags of fresh veggies and fruit - usually I do apples as they are pretty hardy from getting squished, and a bag of pretzels or crackers.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

slightly o/t: I save the plastic trays we get from Sam's when I buy deli cheese/meat and use those instead of a paper bag for the disposable lunch box. It is easy to pack and things won't get smushed in the classroom lunch tote.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I feel like field trips are also times when it's okay to not be super healthy and have some fun. My kids would BEG me for Lunchables and for field trips they were perfect. Freeze water bottles or a juice box and toss in whatever your child will eat.

Make sure it's something they eat lol

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

As someone who just chaperoned a field trip and had to haul lunches around for my group, then saw what the kids ate -- pack a lunchable, an applesauce pouch or gogurt or something like that, and two drinks -- one frozen, one not. Kids are having so much fun they're not going to eat a ton. And it's a pain for the adults to haul around this enormous bag full of waaaaay more food than the kid will eat. Plus, the kids that much just had a ton of wasted food (I swear, one child had a jammed full gallon zip lock bag of various snacks and ate less than a quarter of it). So, I think it's better to send a small amount of stuff you know your kid will eat but that will actually fill them up some (like a lunchable....not my fav, but most kids will eat those up and it's more filling than a bag of chips!). The kids with lots of options all seemed to only want to eat the stuff that wouldn't really fill them up (fruit snacks, etc.) but that took up all their lunch-eating time.
    Lizi