Help!

Because she loves spending time with DH, DD wanted to go to our Girl Scout service unit's "Me and My Guy" Dance.

They went last year and had a great time; the theme was luau.

This year, the theme is PROM.

She just turned 8 and is about 4'3" tall, quite slim, and very much shaped like a little girl. I usually lean super-conservative/"modest" when dressing her, but this is fancy so I'm going to allow her to try out some more "grown up" (but still conservative!) styles because this should be fun. I am not comfortable with cutouts, keyhole necklines, two-pieces, or "illusion" necklines, but maybe I should loosen up?

She wears somewhere between a size 7 and 10, depending on cut/size chart, with most brands' size 8 fitting the best.

I'd also like to spend under $50, including shoes, if possible. (And what kind of shoes should I look for? She wears about a size 2W.)

We have tentative plans to go out and try on dresses this weekend but I wanted to get a sense of where I should plan to look - we have major department stores (Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, Sears, JCP) at nearly every mall nearby, plus most of the typical kids' stores (Justice, Gymboree, Children's Place, etc., but the Crazy8 near us went out) and two Kohls within 15 minutes.

Can you guys help me get a sense of what "prom" might mean to you? I saw some promising things online at Macy's and Kohls. (I'd really prefer Macy's best because I have a Macy's charge and a lot of coupons I'm not using, but if a better dress is out there somewhere else, I'll go there.)