Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tubal?

Default Tubal?

I just a discussion with an GYN about a tubal. My kids are 12 and 10 and I've had a mirena for 10 years but would like to try something else. The last post I can find on this topic is 2013. Any new thoughts on tubal-and am I crazy to do one without it being with a c section?
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So glad you are asking this. I am wondering the same thing. I need a new mirena in the next year or something different.

Anecdotal evidence suggests women have heavy periods after tubals. I think it’s the same for some, heavier for others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Anecdotal evidence suggests women have heavy periods after tubals. I think it’s the same for some, heavier for others.

I think it might seem that way if you had previously been on a hormonal method that lessens/shortens periods.

I had a laparoscopic tubal ligation about 1.5 yr ago. Outpatient surgery and easy recovery. I had been on the pill for years and was ready to look at something without hormones and permanent. With a history of ovarian cancer in my family, my doctor and I agreed on a tubal. Some evidence suggests that ovarian cancer may actually start in the tubes. In recent years the standard has been to remove a larger portion of the tube when ligating it, reducing the risk of ovarian cancer. I has surgery on a Thursday and was on an airplane on Tuesday for Thanksgiving travel.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post

My doc told me the same thing. My periods were much heavier when they returned after DS. Still normal, but heavier than before. I had not been on any birth control prior, but was looking to lessen/eliminate periods. I went with nexplanon (the arm implant) and couldn’t be happier. I had one long period after it was implanted and none since, it’s been over a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I can't speak to recovery after a stand alone tubal but I had a tubal with a C-section almost 5 years ago. I have had no issues. I have had slightly heavier periods but my GYN says that is pretty typical for my age (early 40s) as one moves towards menopause.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I didn't have a tubal, but I had a discussion with my OBGYN about it at the same time that my DH was talking with his doctor about a vasectomy in around 2014. She said that with it being laproscopic the recovery is really minimal and similar to that of a vasectomy.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It’s day surgery, quick recovery. I had mine because I was having and ovarian cyst removed and “since they were in the neighborhood....”. I had a Mirena and kept it in afterwards for the non periods. If I didn’t have heavy periods or hadn’t had a lap for the cyst I would have made my husband get a vasectomy. I figure after two pregnancies he owed me.

I personally would not get one unless they needed to go in there for something else (c section or other) anyway. We went the vasectomy route. But if it is something you really want and your doctor is on board, that is all that really matters

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We opted to go vasectomy route here I've had friends who had really bad periods and cramps after tubal ligation. I think its called tubal ligation syndrome My OB actually said if DH would do it its easier with less potential side effects.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast