Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I’m actually baking some now, lol. I do two loaves a week most weeks. I have done it in the kitchaid and the bread maker, but I always bake in the oven. My pans are similar to the metal ones linked above. I buy yeast and gluten on amazon, and only use King Arthur flour.

3 cups flour (I use 1/2 bread flour, 1/2white whole wheat)
    1 1/4 cups warm water
    1/2 Tbsp salt
    1/2 Tbsp yeast
    1 Tbsp gluten (not need if you’re not using whole wheat, use a little more if you do 100% whole wheat)
    1/4 c honey (you can decrease this if it’s too much for your taste)
    2 Tbsp neutral oil

Break maker: dough cycle, then put in greased pan and let rise for about an hour, or until bread is 1 inch above top of pan. Put in cold oven and set timer for 35 minutes at 350. Bread will rise a little more as oven heats.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    I’m actually baking some now, lol. I do two loaves a week most weeks. I have done it in the kitchaid and the bread maker, but I always bake in the oven. My pans are similar to the metal ones linked above. I buy yeast and gluten on amazon, and only use King Arthur flour.

3 cups flour (I use 1/2 bread flour, 1/2white whole wheat)
    1 1/4 cups warm water
    1/2 Tbsp salt
    1/2 Tbsp yeast
    1 Tbsp gluten (not need if you’re not using whole wheat, use a little more if you do 100% whole wheat)
    1/4 c honey (you can decrease this if it’s too much for your taste)
    2 Tbsp neutral oil

Break maker: dough cycle, then put in greased pan and let rise for about an hour, or until bread is 1 inch above top of pan. Put in cold oven and set timer for 35 minutes at 350. Bread will rise a little more as oven heats.
    I want to try this recipe. Do you think I could use maple syrup instead of honey? And do you know what size loaf this would make? I plan to cook it in my bread machine and have to select loaf size.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day! My husband has been using that technique for over 8 years now. No kneading! You mix the ingredients with a dough whisk; takes 5 minutes including measuring the ingredients. Let it rest at room temp for 2 hours, then refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

When ready to bake, put 2 pounds of the dough into a loaf pan and let rise in a warm area for 2 hours, and bake.

That’s IT.

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    I want to try this recipe. Do you think I could use maple syrup instead of honey? And do you know what size loaf this would make? I plan to cook it in my bread machine and have to select loaf size.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Pretty sure it’s a 1 lb loaf. I don’t know how maple syrup would do. I would start with 2 Tbsp instead of 1/4 cup

bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I make a recipe with similar amount and mine is a 1.5 lb loaf.

Mine is:
    1 cup warm water
    1/4 cup oil
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 1/4 tsp salt
    3 cups flour
    2 tsp yeast

diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default updated, flop in bread machine--help

Quote Originally Posted by bw52 View Post
    I make a recipe with similar amount and mine is a 1.5 lb loaf.

Mine is:
    1 cup warm water
    1/4 cup oil
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 1/4 tsp salt
    3 cups flour
    2 tsp yeast

so i used this recipe as I had all ingredients on hand and sounded easy. It was a total flop. The bread was almost stone hard and had spiky tops like spiky mountains or icicles. Here where I must have gone wrong, any suggestions better bread next time?

1) For 3 cups flour, I used 1 cup all purpose flour and 2 cups white whole wheat flour. What is bread flour or cake flour? will I have better luck with different flours? Though I dont want to use bleached, enriched flours..

2) I used whole wheat bread setting, since I had 2 cups white whole wheat flour?

3) I put stuff in and let it run overnight. Do you have to take it out as soon as you are done? or can letting it sit overnight ok?

4) I added all wet ingredients first, then dry and then I remembered oil, so I poured at the side, letting it glide under dough.

5) I used a whole packet of yeast (had 7gms yeast), I had from ALDI store. Should I get a better quality of yeast?

6) I used avacado oil
    Last edited by diamond; 05-11-2018 at 12:42 PM.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use bread flour and put the ingredients in in a different order (but I don’t know what is right!) My recipe is different though—as I start the yeast, water and sugar off for ten minutes first and then add all other ingredients. I don’t know how many grams of yeast I use—I use 2 and a quarter tsps. I don’t use any baking powder and don’t see that on the recipe you referenced!

I’m sorry it didn’t work for you—I’ve used that recipe for years—multiple times a week.

Did it rise? The only time I’ve gotten hard, spiky bread was when the yeast didn’t work (putting in cold or old yeast). I always warm the yeast in my hand before starting. I keep it in the fridge. You have to have lukewarm water and room temp yeast.

1. Does your bread machine have a whole wheat option? Anytime I add whole wheat I use that setting. I’ve done 2 cups all purpose and 1 cup white whole wheat and it had worked fine. Usually I just do all all purpose.

Gotta run. I’ll add more later.

diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

oops u r right this recipe does not need baking powder, i was also baking banana bread yesterday and added more in it, thats why i got confused, edited my post

I’m back

3. If I don’t pull mine out right away the crust gets soggy. I use the delay/timer setting if I want it done in the morning.

4. I add in the order listed. I always put the salt under the flour bc I’ve read the salt and yeast shouldn’t touch. I make a hole in the middle of the flour and put the yeast in the flour.

Did you use regular active dry yeast? Not instant.

I’ve never used avocado oil only veg or canola.

And there is no baking powder. I would guess that’s the problem if you added baking powder.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast