Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m betting it’s the baking powder. I don’t know what yeast and baking powder would do together but I’m guessing they’d interact in weird ways! Maybe try again with some of our tips? (And no baking powder.)

diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

i didnt add any baking powder in this recipe...

You'll have to check the directions for your bread machine. Some want the wet ingredients on the bottom and some want the dry.

You could need more liquid using wheat flour. You may have put too much wheat flour in. I weigh baking ingredients. It could be overmixed with the wheat cycle with white whole wheat dough. The yeast could be old. Did you add the sugar? That's another reason I stopped using the bread machine because I like being able to see what's happening with the dough. Some times of the year I need more or less liquid depending on humidity, etc.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Bread flour is white flour with a higher protein (gluten) content than all purpose. It is generally unbleached. Cake flour has a lower protein content and is bleached.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well, before you can start tweaking recipes, I always try the official one first. You made several big subs that could easily have altered your outcome. Whole wheat flour is not comparable at all to bread flour. I think you should try the recipe as written and see how it actually turns out- no avocado oil, no wheat flour...
    Did you add the sugar? The yeast needs something to eat.
    There are plenty of all purpose white flours that aren't bleached nor enriched. Go to Whole Foods.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Well, before you can start tweaking recipes, I always try the official one first. You made several big subs that could easily have altered your outcome. Whole wheat flour is not comparable at all to bread flour. I think you should try the recipe as written and see how it actually turns out- no avocado oil, no wheat flour...
    There are plenty of all purpose white flours that aren't bleached nor enriched. Go to Whole Foods.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yes to all of this. If you use that much whole wheat flour, you need to add some gluten. It sounds like it was too wet, in addition to the problems of the substitutions. Bread flour really does do better than all purpose flour, and King Arthur is better than store brand.

diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bw52 View Post
    I make a recipe with similar amount and mine is a 1.5 lb loaf.

Mine is:
    1 cup warm water
    1/4 cup oil
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 1/4 tsp salt
    3 cups flour
    2 tsp yeast

I tried several times with trial and error and I make good bread in a bread maker we have. I use avacado oil, organic king arthur flour all purpose flour, organic sugar so I am feeling better about my kids eating a lot of bread. But how do you cut the bread? When I do there are millions of crumbs all over my counter and slices are very thin or very thick, not even at all. I feel like we are wasting a lot of bread due to this. Right now I am using a good quality bread knike which is serrated and cut it on top of a a cookie sheet which has a wire rack on top, so all the crumbs fall into the cookie sheet and I shake it of in the trash. But I feel my bread knife will get bad as the serrated edge keeps hitting the wire rack...Any tips on cutting bread?..

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You should save your breadcrumbs in the freezer for things like meatball filling or topping on homemade mac and cheese. No need to toss! I just use a cutting board. The crumbs stay on there and I swoop them where I want them. I never cut things directly on my counter.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Make sure the loaf is completely cooled?

here’s some advice: https://www.thekitchn.com/good-questions-109-127363
    DS 2/09

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4