BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Tell me about Cape Cod

I have yet to book a vacation for our family this summer and I'm starting to panic. Part of my issue is that I can never decide where I want to go. After lots of surfing around on TripAdvisor, I'm considering Cape Cod. Looking at staying somewhere in the middle so that we can explore easily in both directions. It would be me, DH, DS (8), DD (6), and MIL (70). First, am I too late to be trying to do this? We could go the last week of June or the last week of July. Will it be too hard to find decent accommodations at this point? My DS loves the beach, the rest of us could take it or leave it. Any thoughts on specific places to stay (towns and specific accommodations) or things to do? I always feel so overwhelmed when trying to plan a vacation, but I feel like if I can decide on where to stay (generally and specifically), the rest usually falls into place. Anyone want to help me get started?
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

We have gone to Cape Cod for a few days at a time (always less than a week) for a few years now. Because we have never rented a house, we’ve done fine with finding places to stay, even pretty last minute. We’ve really enjoyed staying in Orleans at a motel-type place that is VERY basic but not a budget buster. We really are out all day, every day, and we just don’t care that much where we sleep. We take other vacations that are about luxury. This one is casual and all about nature. We prefer the bayside beaches, because they’re calm and wonderful at both low and high tides, but from Orleans it’s very easy to access both the ocean and the bay. We love the nature center in Wellfleet. We always spend a day in P-town. We’ve done dune tours and seal watches and plan to do a whale watch this summer. On the way to the Cape we’ve spent a day at Plimoth Plantation. Mostly on the Cape we do a ton of walking in nature. It’s incredibly relaxing for us. There’s lots to do on the Cape, though. We’re just not usually there long enough to do much. This summer we’ll be going for a whole week, so we may explore further afield, but I’d be happy with just a couple more beach days and our same old routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    We have gone to Cape Cod for a few days at a time (always less than a week) for a few years now. Because we have never rented a house, we’ve done fine with finding places to stay, even pretty last minute. We’ve really enjoyed staying in Orleans at a motel-type place that is VERY basic but not a budget buster. We really are out all day, every day, and we just don’t care that much where we sleep. We take other vacations that are about luxury. This one is casual and all about nature. We prefer the bayside beaches, because they’re calm and wonderful at both low and high tides, but from Orleans it’s very easy to access both the ocean and the bay. We love the nature center in Wellfleet. We always spend a day in P-town. We’ve done dune tours and seal watches and plan to do a whale watch this summer. On the way to the Cape we’ve spent a day at Plimoth Plantation. Mostly on the Cape we do a ton of walking in nature. It’s incredibly relaxing for us. There’s lots to do on the Cape, though. We’re just not usually there long enough to do much. This summer we’ll be going for a whole week, so we may explore further afield, but I’d be happy with just a couple more beach days and our same old routine.

Would you mind sharing your lodging spot? PM would be great if you don’t want to post it. Thanks!!

I'd love to know too!

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also love Orleans. Usually we rent a house, but last year we didnt and a week before my vacation from work (supposed to be a staycation) I decided I HAD to go to the beach and the kids and I got a room at the Skaket Beach Motel. Its right across the road from a large Shaws, CVS and liquor store. Also they have a pool, which was great for the kids. We had a room with 2 queen beds and it had a small fridge and microwave. Bathroom was a good size. They have a coin operated laundry right there too. We loved it! DH will not stay more than 1 night in a hotel room with the 4 of us, but the kids and I were fine with it. We brought a blow-up twin mattress and so the kids took turns sleeping in the bed and I took the other queen bed.

I love Orleans because there are 2 beaches - a bayside beach & an Atlantic facing beach. Also you are close to Chatham for shopping, or Provincetown if you want to visit there. We spend most of our days hitting the beach and also shopping in Chatham. I love the Cape. But I grew up going there since I grew up in Boston. I really feel sad if we dont go in the summer.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think accommodations are really going to be my issue. My kids won't sleep if there is anything else going on in the room, and my DH is a night owl, always looking at his phone and stuff. The kids go to bed relatively early, even on vacation. And we need somewhere to put MIL. So, I think it's gonna have to be a house.

For those who have rented houses, where do you usually find them? I am looking at weneedavacation.com and will definitely look in Orleans. I know for the Gulf Coast, people aren't really using VRBO anymore since they started charging some kind of extra fee. Is air b&b a good place to look? Crossing my fingers that I can find something to accommodate us.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have rented from HomeAway and also from Cape Cod Oceanview Realty. They have a website and you could look at rentals based on the 2 weeks that you are able to go. Pickings are probably slim. Last week of June is sometimes cheaper than July/August.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    I also love Orleans. Usually we rent a house, but last year we didnt and a week before my vacation from work (supposed to be a staycation) I decided I HAD to go to the beach and the kids and I got a room at the Skaket Beach Motel. Its right across the road from a large Shaws, CVS and liquor store. Also they have a pool, which was great for the kids. We had a room with 2 queen beds and it had a small fridge and microwave. Bathroom was a good size. They have a coin operated laundry right there too. We loved it! DH will not stay more than 1 night in a hotel room with the 4 of us, but the kids and I were fine with it. We brought a blow-up twin mattress and so the kids took turns sleeping in the bed and I took the other queen bed.

I love Orleans because there are 2 beaches - a bayside beach & an Atlantic facing beach. Also you are close to Chatham for shopping, or Provincetown if you want to visit there. We spend most of our days hitting the beach and also shopping in Chatham. I love the Cape. But I grew up going there since I grew up in Boston. I really feel sad if we dont go in the summer.
    This is our spot, too. It’s a fabulous location to get other places, but it is not luxurious or in a charming setting! It is, however, a marvelous spot from which to view the July 4th parade, and you can walk across the street to the supermarket if you want snacks or sunscreen.