Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default DD going to Orlando for show choir competition during spring break '19, where can...

DD is going to Orlando for a show choir competition during the first couple of days over Spring Break 2019.
    She will ride down to Florida in a charter bus with all the show choir kids.

My son and I will likely drive down to Orlando from Cincinnati, Ohio.

After the show choir competition is over, we would like to do a beach vacation. We have no interest in staying
    in Orlando and doing Disney World/Universal Studios.

I'm thinking about driving out of Florida and maybe stopping & spending our Spring Break week somewhere
    on the Georgia, South Carolina, maybe even North Carolina coast.

This will cut our drive by many hours on our return home to Cincinnati.

Do you have any suggestions on where we can spend our Spring Break week on an awesome beach vacation??
    FWIW, our Spring Break will be at the end of March in 2019.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It depends if you want to be able to actually enjoy the beach. We were in St. Pete the last week of March the last two years, and the weather was great, in the high 70's and a few days in the low 80's. Friends who were further north weren't so lucky, it's still iffy in the Carolina's. We only stay at the beach (no theme parks) and do a 16 hour (total of about 19 hours with stops) drive there and back (I'm in Central IL so about the same distance as you roughly). I can't wait till my DD can help with the driving a bit. Don't discount staying in Florida, is your DD old enough to help with some of the driving? I can't say enough about the St. Pete Beach area, so relaxing and chill. I would imagine some place in northern FL or along the Georgia coast would still be pretty safe weather wise.

North Carolina can be pretty cold in March. If you're really looking forward to enjoying the beach lifestyle, you might want to stay further south. Otherwise, Corolla on the Outer Banks is nice.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Default DD going to Orlando for show choir competition during spring break '19, where can...

Hilton Head would be fun!
    We were there last year the weekend after spring break. The water was still a little chilly but we all were swimming (we’re used to Maine water). The weather was beautiful and there’s lots to do. We went biking on the beaches at low tide, hung out by the pool, and explored the island. There’s a neat wildlife refuge (Pinckney Island, between the mainland and Hilton Head).
    We stayed at the Sonesta Resort at Shipyard Plantation. It was beautiful with a good restaurant, fun pool, and on the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

If you're willing to only reduce the drive by just a few hours, look at Amelia Island. We were there in mid-April of last year and it was very warm (obviously, no guarantees). It's less than three hours from Orlando right at the border of Georgia, so I'm not sure it will meet your needs...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    It depends if you want to be able to actually enjoy the beach.

Yes, we definitely want to be able to enjoy the beach!!!
    Corie

-fortune cookie

[QUOTE=mom2binsd;4298301 I can't wait till my DD can help with the driving a bit. Don't discount staying in Florida, is your DD old enough to help with some of the driving? [/QUOTE]

Yes, she is old enough to help with the driving. I keep forgetting about that!!
    Corie

-fortune cookie

mom2224 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I'll second Amelia Island. The ocean water temps in NC/SC will be too cold to enjoy- only a little splashing, playing around. Also, air temps vary so much that time of year here- highs in 50s to maybe low 70s. Stay somewhere south, maybe in Florida to enjoy the beach!
    Mom of 4 boys.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ooh, I loved Amelia Island!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    Yes, we definitely want to be able to enjoy the beach!!!
    Come join us on Treasure Island that week, we'll be the three people totally relaxed, taste testing calamari (or whatever appetizer the kids pick this year to compare at every restaurant). The water in the Gulf was still pretty chilly, my kids spent hours in the water though!