hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default anyone been to belize

we are thinking of going to belize for holiday in a month -- anyone btdt? any tips or hints?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We did- without the kids. We did a few nights inland in San Ignacio (Maya Mountain Lodge). From there we toured the ATM caves and hired a tour to Tikal. After those days, we chilled at Matachica on Ambergis Caye. It was a fun vacation. Easy too as they speak English.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My nephew manages a boutique resort there, although we have never been, my MIL raves about it.

We went for our honeymoon in February 2006. It was so hot and humid then that I would never go in the summer. Unless you're a person who really likes heat and humidity....

that being said, we are looking forward to the point when DS is old enough for some of the adventures and we can all go back. I would guess your boys are about the right age.

We stayed at Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge and would go back in a heartbeat. I am a worrywart and felt 100% safe on the adventures. Their guides train everyone else.

We also spent a few days on Caye Caulker. The snorkeling was amazing but there are no real beaches. We each got food poisoning. I wouldn't be as excited about going back there.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We did it over winter break in 2016. Did three nights in the Cayo District (rivers, hiking, day trip into Guatemala to Tikal) and five nights in Placencia (snorkeling, fishing, paddleboarding, beaching). It was a great family trip. I think where you stay in Belize is crucial - it is really undeveloped (maybe less of that in Ambergris Caye/Caye Caulker area than where we went). We stayed at Blancaneau Lodge and Turtle Inn - sister properties - and both were truly fantastic. They made our stay, for sure, as we didn't have great weather and that otherwise would have been a huge bummer. The food was great, wine/cocktails were fabulous, activities galore and they had plenty of fun things to do when the weather didn't cooperate. It was one of the easiest vacations for a logistics and planning standpoint I've ever taken (we usually don't just do one-stop hotels so this was different for us and surprisingly pleasant for me). Belize wasn't a place I'd rush back to (glad I went but too many other places to go) but it was a really really fun trip and my kids totally loved it.

We went to Belize for Spring Break in 2016 and really liked it. It was hot and humid so I'm sure it will be even more so this time of year. We did 4 nights in the Cayo District (stayed at Table Rock) and 4 nights in Ambergris Caye (stayed at Xanadu). Table Rock was a bit off the beaten path but beautiful. Right on the river so we could canoe and enjoy it. The food was fantastic and I would recommend it although it is an eco lodge. From here we did cave tubing, zip lining, day trip to Tikal in Guatamala, visited a few closer Mayan ruins and explored the closest town, San Ignacio. I liked Ambergris but it was definitely more crowded. It was an interesting mix of tourism and grittiness. Here we snorkeled, hung out by the pool, ate great food and explored the island on our rented golf cart. We preferred the inland portion of our trip but that said, we aren't big beach people.

Belize is not challenging to figure out travelwise. The people are so pleasant and helpful and we always felt safe. Like the PP, we aren't racing to get back there in lieu of other destinations, but glad we went.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl