Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,579

    Default Book recs for DD

    She has enjoyed Wayside School, My Weird School, Dogman, and Diary of Wimpy Kid. Any other similar series? She didn't care for Big Nate. Thanks!
    ETA: She also loves the captain underpants series.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Last edited by trcy; 06-14-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

  2. #2
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,579

    Default

    Any thoughts?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,977

    Default

    How old is she?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    She has enjoyed Wayside School, My Weird School, Dogman, and Diary of Wimpy Kid. Any other similar series? She didn't care for Big Nate. Thanks!

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    My DD (similar age) has been reading Anna and Froga, Narwhal and Jelly, Thea Stilton, Heidi Heckelbeck, Owl Diaries, Magic Treehouse, Who Was books, Ivy and Bean, anything by Roald Dahl. They are a variety of different reading levels and styles, but maybe some of them will appeal to your DD?

  5. #5
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magnoliaparadise View Post
    How old is she?
    She 7, but reads at a higher level. At the beginning of first grade her teacher said she was reading at a third grade level, I have no idea what level she's reading at now.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

  6. #6
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moosemama View Post
    My DD (similar age) has been reading Anna and Froga, Narwhal and Jelly, Thea Stilton, Heidi Heckelbeck, Owl Diaries, Magic Treehouse, Who Was books, Ivy and Bean, anything by Roald Dahl. They are a variety of different reading levels and styles, but maybe some of them will appeal to your DD?
    Thanks for the ideas, she enjoyed the Narwhal series (I had forgotten about those), but there's others I can try and see if she likes. She'll read 2 or 3 books a day, I was running out of ideas.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

  7. #7
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    12,019

    Default

    I recommend:

    The Ordinary Princess by MM Kaye
    Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
    Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan (1st in a 3-book series; haven't read the others)
    Song of the Trees by Mildred D Taylor (companion to the series that includes Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, but the subject matter might be a bit heavy for a 7-year-old)
    Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon & Dean Hale (art by Nathan Hale - no relation)
    Calamity Jack by Shannon & Dean Hale (art by Nathan Hale; sequel to RR, above)

    She might also be OK with classics like The Secret Garden and A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett; The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum; or even Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin.

    The Ramona series should be in her sweet spot, as well as A Series of Unfortunate Events (depending on her tolerance for mild peril and spooky situations, of course.) She might be a little young for Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, but it's short and nothing truly tragic happens in it so give it a whirl?

    DD loves the Who Is...?/Who Was...? books.

    I'm also reading out loud to/with DD. Since kindergarten, we have read:

    Fortunately, the Milk ... by Neil Gaiman
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
    The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
    The Ordinary Princess by MM Kaye
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

    We are currently reading The Lightning Thief (book #1 in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series) by Rick Riordan.

    It's given me an excuse to let her learn more about Greek mythology using our copies of A Child's Guide to Greek Mythology and D'Aulieres' Greek Myths.

    I'm looking into the kids' editions of The Iliad and The Odyssey for more complementary reading if she continues to like Percy. (I recently read the Emily Wilson translation of The Odyssey and it was very enjoyable. It's weird; I've had a familiarity with the story for so long, but had never actually READ it, so this was a good translation to choose. Just to be clear: Professor Wilson's translation is not for kids.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

    "Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

  8. #8
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I recommend:

    The Ordinary Princess by MM Kaye
    Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
    Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan (1st in a 3-book series; haven't read the others)
    Song of the Trees by Mildred D Taylor (companion to the series that includes Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, but the subject matter might be a bit heavy for a 7-year-old)
    Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon & Dean Hale (art by Nathan Hale - no relation)
    Calamity Jack by Shannon & Dean Hale (art by Nathan Hale; sequel to RR, above)

    She might also be OK with classics like The Secret Garden and A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett; The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum; or even Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin.

    The Ramona series should be in her sweet spot, as well as A Series of Unfortunate Events (depending on her tolerance for mild peril and spooky situations, of course.) She might be a little young for Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, but it's short and nothing truly tragic happens in it so give it a whirl?

    DD loves the Who Is...?/Who Was...? books.

    I'm also reading out loud to/with DD. Since kindergarten, we have read:

    Fortunately, the Milk ... by Neil Gaiman
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
    The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
    The Ordinary Princess by MM Kaye
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

    We are currently reading The Lightning Thief (book #1 in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series) by Rick Riordan.

    It's given me an excuse to let her learn more about Greek mythology using our copies of A Child's Guide to Greek Mythology and D'Aulieres' Greek Myths.

    I'm looking into the kids' editions of The Iliad and The Odyssey for more complementary reading if she continues to like Percy. (I recently read the Emily Wilson translation of The Odyssey and it was very enjoyable. It's weird; I've had a familiarity with the story for so long, but had never actually READ it, so this was a good translation to choose. Just to be clear: Professor Wilson's translation is not for kids.)
    Awesome! Thanks for the list! Someone got her a box set of 4 from the Ramona series for her birthday. She refused to even read one page. I am so thankful we have a great library, otherwise I would be spending a ton of money on books that she may or may not like.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Around that age, my DD started to really get into the Warriors cat series. Erin Hunter wrote a million different spin offs, which kept her busy for a long time.

    https://www.amazon.com/Warriors-Box-...s=warrior+cats

  10. #10
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jawilli4 View Post
    Around that age, my DD started to really get into the Warriors cat series. Erin Hunter wrote a million different spin offs, which kept her busy for a long time.

    https://www.amazon.com/Warriors-Box-...s=warrior+cats
    I've seen these books at the library, but never looked at them. We are going there tomorrow, so I'll have her take a look.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •