Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
This is a really good point, and I forgot to bring it up when I listed them upthread.

However, I feel like I need to clarify that I actually read them out loud to my DD, but we stopped at book 3 (Prisoner of Azkaban) because while she did fine with the scary bits in it, I personally believe that Goblet of Fire and up will be Far Too Scary for her right now. (She is 8.)

However, since she did well with the scary bits from The Hobbit and the first 3 Harry Potters, we've started Percy Jackson - the level of scariness and peril don't get much worse than Prisoner of Azkaban, so we should be OK.

But if OP's DD is among the easily spooked right now, the books will be there whenever she's ready for them!
My kid (10) has resisted reading Percy Jackson for awhile now - kept saying it was too scary. Last night, I finally started reading it to her with the hope that it would get her hooked - and it worked - I noticed this morning that she wouldn't stop reading it before school... but then something very scary happened (in the first 50 pages no less) and she told me about it and was upset and didn't want to bring it to school... so I'm thinking she might not continue Percy Jackson after all and that series!! I think it looks like a great series and umm, myself am hooked from last night, so I am so disappointed!!

About the Hobbit - we haven't tried that so I might do this with her. You are pretty ambitious reading these to an 8 year old!