Question Cheapest place for pet (cat) supplies and pet insurance?

We found a couple of cats we love at a shelter this morning, and we're hoping to go back and adopt one/ them both tonight. We have a carrier and litter box from our cat that died this spring, but will need another of each if we get two cats. We'll also need new dishes, litter, litter bags, a scratching post (or two?), and food. Where do you think is cheapest to get these? Walmart/ Target/ Petco/ Petsmart/ Somewhere else? I have a comb and brush and litter scooper, and figure we can make our own toys for a while and just fold up blankets instead of buying cat beds (to save money), but are there any other necessities I'm forgetting?
    Also, any tips on pet insurance- what company to use and how much to expect to pay? (One cat is 1-2 years old, and the other is about 5 months.)

Thanks so much! . The kids are so excited this is finally happening!

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have Nationwide with a discount through my work. I chose the wellness plan in addition to major medical, and they reimburse for vaccines, nail clippings and flea treatments. I actually purchased my food bowls from Dollar Tree, and I have around 7 bowls that I trade out when they get gross from the wet food. I will recommend for toys that cats love springs. PetfoodExpress has a pack of like 10 springs for a couple bucks. My two cats also love the "ferret" fleece toys I get at Dollar Tree. They are a striped fleece with stuffing in the body with a rattler and a long tail. I have no idea what animal they are actually supposed to be, but for $1, they get a lot of enjoyment.
    I got our first litter and boxes from Target, and have since made my own high sided litter box with a storage bin. Really minimizes the litter tracking. Until you find out which litter the cats like, I would say most places are pretty similar in pricing.
    mom to Billy 12/07