Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    This is a really good point, and I forgot to bring it up when I listed them upthread.

However, I feel like I need to clarify that I actually read them out loud to my DD, but we stopped at book 3 (Prisoner of Azkaban) because while she did fine with the scary bits in it, I personally believe that Goblet of Fire and up will be Far Too Scary for her right now. (She is 8.)

However, since she did well with the scary bits from The Hobbit and the first 3 Harry Potters, we've started Percy Jackson - the level of scariness and peril don't get much worse than Prisoner of Azkaban, so we should be OK.

But if OP's DD is among the easily spooked right now, the books will be there whenever she's ready for them!
    My kid (10) has resisted reading Percy Jackson for awhile now - kept saying it was too scary. Last night, I finally started reading it to her with the hope that it would get her hooked - and it worked - I noticed this morning that she wouldn't stop reading it before school... but then something very scary happened (in the first 50 pages no less) and she told me about it and was upset and didn't want to bring it to school... so I'm thinking she might not continue Percy Jackson after all and that series!! I think it looks like a great series and umm, myself am hooked from last night, so I am so disappointed!!

About the Hobbit - we haven't tried that so I might do this with her. You are pretty ambitious reading these to an 8 year old!

OP, thanks for posting this. I have a 6 and 10 year old and I don't recognize some of the books that people have suggested so am going to circle back and see if I can find some in the library to read to either kid! This is all very helpful!

You're thinking of Cece Bell and Raina Telgemeier.
    Yes, thanks. They are so talented. And seem young for being so prolific. Telgemeier is now doing (or has done) the Babysitter's series in graphic novel form so I am going to get some of those from the library when they come in.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

She might also like Junie B Jones by Barbara park.

Percycat is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The Worst Witch is a cute series that may have had some influence in the Harry Potter series -- it has the fun magic elements, girl friends and conflict, but doesn't get dark or scary. There is also an old TV series made from the books that we watched on Neflix or Amazon

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliaparadise View Post
    My kid (10) has resisted reading Percy Jackson for awhile now - kept saying it was too scary. Last night, I finally started reading it to her with the hope that it would get her hooked - and it worked - I noticed this morning that she wouldn't stop reading it before school... but then something very scary happened (in the first 50 pages no less) and she told me about it and was upset and didn't want to bring it to school... so I'm thinking she might not continue Percy Jackson after all and that series!! I think it looks like a great series and umm, myself am hooked from last night, so I am so disappointed!!
    Yeah, his math teacher turns into a monster in the first 50 pages. It didn't bother my DD - that was kind of the point when she got hooked, and we've visited the Met a few times since she turned 6.

Mine has even been doing extra reading about Greek mythology to help her understand what's going on.

Even if your DD1 is too skittish right now to finish the series, I highly recommend that you do! (I've read them several times over myself, which is why I'm OK reading them to/with my DD.)

About the Hobbit - we haven't tried that so I might do this with her. You are pretty ambitious reading these to an 8 year old!
    I have a fully-illustrated edition of The Hobbit. It's fairly good (illustrator is Jemima Catlin; there are a bunch.)

There are some Very Scary bits, though - goblins, wargs, giant spiders, Gollum ... and that's even before you meet the dragon! - so she might not be ready for it yet.

I was running out of stuff for my DD to read or have read to her.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Yeah, his math teacher turns into a monster in the first 50 pages. It didn't bother my DD - that was kind of the point when she got hooked, and we've visited the Met a few times since she turned 6.

Mine has even been doing extra reading about Greek mythology to help her understand what's going on.

Even if your DD1 is too skittish right now to finish the series, I highly recommend that you do! (I've read them several times over myself, which is why I'm OK reading them to/with my DD.)

I have a fully-illustrated edition of The Hobbit. It's fairly good (illustrator is Jemima Catlin; there are a bunch.)

There are some Very Scary bits, though - goblins, wargs, giant spiders, Gollum ... and that's even before you meet the dragon! - so she might not be ready for it yet.

I was running out of stuff for my DD to read or have read to her.
    The teacher turned into a monster within about 20 pages . The part DD2 got upset about was the death (or what the reader assumes is a death) of a character. But DD2 picked the book up when she got home from school and finished it. I have the second one from the library which I'll give her tomorrow.

And I definitely want to read this book now! But I have so much to do that I feel decadent reading the whole book, so I will try to get it on audiotape so I can at least walk with it while I listen and feel like I'm getting some exercise

About Hobbit - interesting. I'll see how she does with the Percy Jackson series before giving the Hobbit to her. She read The Land of Stories series which had goblins and things like that so maybe she is open to it.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Thanks everyone! When we were at the library they had almost all of the Dork diaries available, so I grabbed them all. I was able to put the few they didn't have in on hold. She read the first one and enjoyed it, so this series should keep her occupied for a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

39 Clues series
    The Green Ember
    The Land of Stories series - 5 books tied to fairy tale type stories but with a ton of adventure
    Encyclopedia Brown
    Nancy Drew

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeLover View Post
    39 Clues series
    The Green Ember
    The Land of Stories series - 5 books tied to fairy tale type stories but with a ton of adventure
    Encyclopedia Brown
    Nancy Drew
    I loved Nancy Drew books when I was younger, I've been trying to get her to at least try one, but nope. She is very strong willed. I'll definitely look into all of the books mentioned in this thread.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast