Default Smart devices to help with exec function? Experiences or brainstorm with me?

I just finished reading "Smart but Scattered Teens" and am overwhelmed. Trying to set up some systems to help both of my teens - one diagnosed and one not but has CLEAR deficiencies in executive skills. It got me thinking about all the smart devices we have (iPhones, iPads with the school district, Alexa, etc) and whether/how those could be used to help rather than me constantly having to do what they consider "nagging" and avoid me getting angry/stressed and causing more harm than good. I've considered an EF coach and may still try one, but we need to focus that person's attention because with 2 kids needing help across numerous domains it would be cost prohibitive at $100/hr! Off the top of my head I'm thinking some sort of daily lists for things like AM routine (little things like remembering SOCKS before DD is running out the door), after school routine (check online portal to ensure homework is all written down and look for missing items, do work, put in backpack or SUBMIT digitally - sad that this is even an issue, but it is!, etc), bedtime routine (pick out clothes for AM, dirties to hamper). Setting up those things would be easy enough but I'm thinking there has to be additional ways that these $$$ devices can help our ADHD/exec skills deficient kiddos prepare to be responsible adults, no?

Anyone use any good apps or have any tips or tricks? If not, care to brainstorm ways that you might use such devices to help with these types of issues?

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Before setting up lists/digital reminders... Will the kids use them? I ask because mine will NOT!!! I have tried checklists, ect. They do not work because the child will not even look at them.

For us, routine is the key. Every morning and evening, the same routine. Non-school days the routine just shifts slightly. Often I have to start the routine, but then it just happens; the kid goes into auto-pilot ! Of course, it has taken YEARS to get to this point and it is somewhat flexible. I try to stay out of it!

One of the things we found worked best is letting the child determine the order of the routine and most of the steps. As long as they all get done, I'm good. For example, I would love for clothes to be picked out the night before; that is never going to happen with this child. I have come to terms with that.

Oh, and don't get angry or frustrated. We start the day with mom singing or joking around. If things go south in the morning or during evening routine; we are sunk! I found that in the mornings, we all do better waking up 15 minutes earlier than we have to be up. DC's alarm goes off 15 minutes earlier than needed. That gives us time to joke around and start the day "unrushed". Of course, I get up with DH an hour before DC need to be up, so it works for us.

Good luck... It's so hard!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I took an ef class full day seminar and she suggested photos vs check lists to get the visual as that’s the key. What ready looks like. What done looks like. They can take a photo of what it looks like and compare. Eg backpack? Shoes? Or setting the table etc.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    Before setting up lists/digital reminders... Will the kids use them? I ask because mine will NOT!!! I have tried checklists, ect. They do not work because the child will not even look at them.

For us, routine is the key. Every morning and evening, the same routine. Non-school days the routine just shifts slightly. Often I have to start the routine, but then it just happens; the kid goes into auto-pilot ! Of course, it has taken YEARS to get to this point and it is somewhat flexible. I try to stay out of it!

One of the things we found worked best is letting the child determine the order of the routine and most of the steps. As long as they all get done, I'm good. For example, I would love for clothes to be picked out the night before; that is never going to happen with this child. I have come to terms with that.

Oh, and don't get angry or frustrated. We start the day with mom singing or joking around. If things go south in the morning or during evening routine; we are sunk! I found that in the mornings, we all do better waking up 15 minutes earlier than we have to be up. DC's alarm goes off 15 minutes earlier than needed. That gives us time to joke around and start the day "unrushed". Of course, I get up with DH an hour before DC need to be up, so it works for us.

Good luck... It's so hard!
    I think for ODS the key is it has to be on a device. If just make checklists on paper or chalkboard etc it doesn't work but he is so tech obsessed that if I could figure out a way for it to set off reminders at various times I do think that would work because then it's "his idea" as opposed to ME saying "did you do XYZ?". If I'm the one telling him the routine it doesn't work. I don't know for sure it will work but it just came to me after reading the book.

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You can set an alarm that goes off on iPhone or iPad triggered for time or location.

Ie, you can set it go off as the device (with DC attached for sure) leaves your house to "remember lunch and backpack"
    Or to go off when you arrive at a location (ie school) for day specific or every day "turn in library books" "turn in math homework" etc.

I use it when I need to bring something to work... a live saver.

Quote Originally Posted by wallawala View Post
    You can set an alarm that goes off on iPhone or iPad triggered for time or location.

Ie, you can set it go off as the device (with DC attached for sure) leaves your house to "remember lunch and backpack"
    Or to go off when you arrive at a location (ie school) for day specific or every day "turn in library books" "turn in math homework" etc.

I use it when I need to bring something to work... a live saver.
    How do you trigger it by location?! My mind is blown on this one!!

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

To trigger a notification or alarm by location, I use the "reminders" on iPhone - make a reminder, click the info button and you can have it remind you at a particular time, or at a particular location. I use it a lot for doing returns, for example, if I have something in my car I want to return or pick up there, I will set a reminder. It will send me a notification when I am passing by the store. I need more exec function help than my kiddo though!

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    To trigger a notification or alarm by location, I use the "reminders" on iPhone - make a reminder, click the info button and you can have it remind you at a particular time, or at a particular location. I use it a lot for doing returns, for example, if I have something in my car I want to return or pick up there, I will set a reminder. It will send me a notification when I am passing by the store. I need more exec function help than my kiddo though!
    Thank you for this! I never knew you could do that. I always forget to return things when I'm at the store!
    H-
    DD 1998
    DS 2004
    DD 2005