Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AK or HS???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default AK or HS???

We have 4 Day base park tickets for Disney and I’m struggling how to allocate the days. 2 days to MK is a given, so that leave us 2 more days and I was thinking of doing the 3rd and 4th day with Epcot and HS.

My boys aren’t interested in zoo types and we’ve been to some amazing zoos in this country and it was always meh for them. Hence my reasoning to skip AK, but a friend keeps telling me I’ll regret it! She feels I should skip HS in favor AK. But my boys are way into Toy story so I know they’ll really want to see it! But I heard it’s a big disappointment so far....

Is AK really worth it???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Hmm, they're 4 and 7? I'm not a huge fan of DHS. AK has a lot more to offer than just animals. They probably won't be tall enough for Expedition Everest, but the dinosaur ride is very fun if they like thrill rides. There's a fun dinosaur excavation area that my children could spend literally HOURS at. AK has better shows IMO. The whole park just feels more Disney to me. DHS doesn't have much magic to it. And the food at DHS is the worst in the entire World.

DHS used to have the best playground, the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" playground, but it was closed to make room for Star Wars. You may be thinking why go to Disney for playgrounds, but honestly, that was my kids' favorite part about DHS. Toy Story Mania is fun, FP is a must. Oh, and Star Tours, that's a popular ride, DH and DDs love it. (I hate it, it's the only ride that makes me motion sick, and I've ridden Mission: Space!)
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The Toy Story stuff is supposed to be really cool but super crowded- like a wait to get into that section of the park, let alone ride anything.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I"d look at the height limits for the rides. The younger one might not be tall enough for Everest and even if he is, he might not like it. DS2 did not at age 5, but loved it last month at 9.

We did not do any of the animal trail walks at AK because it was just too hot. But we spent a full day there (2 half days, actually). We spent about 5 hours at HS. Mostly we did Tower of Terror and Rock n Roller Coaster. We missed the Toys Story by a week or so.

I think both are fine and you will have fun with either one.
    Kris

If it were me, I’d definitely choose AK. I haven’t seen the Avatar section yet, or the Rivers of Light show, and my kids really prefer the shows and rides at AK. HS may gain ground as Star Wars picks up, but as of a couple of years ago, HS was only really fun for Toy Story, which we do love, the Frozen singalong, and Tower of Terror (only for DS), and the food there is truly awful. Even without the animals, there’s lots more we like at AK.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Given there ages, I think I would choose HS. Especially if they love Toy Story. My boys loved the ride at that age, and still do. Haven't heard anything on the new stuff yet, but even if it is not living up to the hype, I think seeing the characters and theming would be amazing for them. Allears.net has a lot of good info to skim through on the attractions. Are they into Star Wars? If so, they would love Star Tours and the night time show is great. Plus just seeing the Storm Troopers is very cool. I think they may even have a daytime show with them know.

Cool things non-zoo you would "miss" at AK: Tough to Be a Bug, Safari, rapids ride, new Avatar section (not sure if there is height restriction on FOP?).
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Hmm, they're 4 and 7? I'm not a huge fan of DHS. AK has a lot more to offer than just animals. They probably won't be tall enough for Expedition Everest, but the dinosaur ride is very fun if they like thrill rides. There's a fun dinosaur excavation area that my children could spend literally HOURS at. AK has better shows IMO. The whole park just feels more Disney to me. DHS doesn't have much magic to it. And the food at DHS is the worst in the entire World.

DHS used to have the best playground, the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" playground, but it was closed to make room for Star Wars. You may be thinking why go to Disney for playgrounds, but honestly, that was my kids' favorite part about DHS. Toy Story Mania is fun, FP is a must. Oh, and Star Tours, that's a popular ride, DH and DDs love it. (I hate it, it's the only ride that makes me motion sick, and I've ridden Mission: Space!)
    That is how old they are now, but at time of the trip in following November they'll be nearly 8.5 and nearly 6 years old. I just looked at the height restrictions for the rides at AK and DS1 can ride all of the rides including the Flight of Passage and Expedition since both rides is 44" or taller. DS1 is 51 and half currently and DS2 is exactly 10 inches smaller from big brother at 41 and half. So maybe by time we go, he may or may not barely be tall enough for those 2 rides.

However they do love anything and everything with Dinosaurs and the excavation is something they always enjoyed. I'm jumping to get tickets now due to a great deal through DH's work promotion that is running now for Spring and Fall of 2019, so I still have time to decide which park to spend our time.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    The Toy Story stuff is supposed to be really cool but super crowded- like a wait to get into that section of the park, let alone ride anything.
    That is what I heard too. I am hoping by November next year, the interest will have died down a bit to manage to get IN that section.

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    If it were me, I’d definitely choose AK. I haven’t seen the Avatar section yet, or the Rivers of Light show, and my kids really prefer the shows and rides at AK. HS may gain ground as Star Wars picks up, but as of a couple of years ago, HS was only really fun for Toy Story, which we do love, the Frozen singalong, and Tower of Terror (only for DS), and the food there is truly awful. Even without the animals, there’s lots more we like at AK.

DS1 is really into the Star Wars now with his books and movie of the whole series so far. So, I know he'll love to see that! DS2 as well, with Storm Troopers. Sounds like I need to think about it more, and wondering if I should add another day to our existing 4 day tickets. We could hit HS in the late afternoon and evening on the day we arrive at Disney and keep the 4th full day for AK?
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    That is how old they are now, but at time of the trip in following November they'll be nearly 8.5 and nearly 6 years old. I just looked at the height restrictions for the rides at AK and DS1 can ride all of the rides including the Flight of Passage and Expedition since both rides is 44" or taller. DS1 is 51 and half currently and DS2 is exactly 10 inches smaller from big brother at 41 and half. So maybe by time we go, he may or may not barely be tall enough for those 2 rides.

However they do love anything and everything with Dinosaurs and the excavation is something they always enjoyed. I'm jumping to get tickets now due to a great deal through DH's work promotion that is running now for Spring and Fall of 2019, so I still have time to decide which park to spend our time.

That is what I heard too. I am hoping by November next year, the interest will have died down a bit to manage to get IN that section.

DS1 is really into the Star Wars now with his books and movie of the whole series so far. So, I know he'll love to see that! DS2 as well, with Storm Troopers. Sounds like I need to think about it more, and wondering if I should add another day to our existing 4 day tickets. We could hit HS in the late afternoon and evening on the day we arrive at Disney and keep the 4th full day for AK?
    If you can do it, that sounds like a great solution. My only concern would be that the lines at Toy Story at HS might be really, really long in the afternoon. We always hit Toy Story at rope drop (except the year we did Jedi training.) The Touring Plans site can help you make a schedule, though. I find using a plan invaluable to avoid long lines.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/ge...ek-wait-times/ Looks like lines have already dropped to a much more manageable level in the Toy Story section.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Sounds like I need to think about it more, and wondering if I should add another day to our existing 4 day tickets.We could hit HS in the late afternoon and evening on the day we arrive at Disney and keep the 4th full day for AK?
    If that's an option, I'd do that. Adding a fifth day isn't that much more money. Also, maybe do MK the day you arrive plus a full day, and that way you'd have full days at AK and DHS? Just another thought.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast