Default Iceland with young boys?

I got an email running a promo of 299 RT per person from my airport to Reykjavik anytime from Oct to December.

Wondering if it値l be a good trip for 7 and nearly 5 year old? I値l have to look at TripAdvisor and Fodors later tonight. But love to hear personal stories of been there, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We spent a week there in October during my kids fall break and it’s beautiful. That said, the weather will be very unpredictable. My kids were 11 and 10 when we went.

I have seen crazy cheap flight deals to Iceland. BUT--when you get there, everything is EXPENSIVE. Like food is crazy expensive. People have loved their trips there, but the sticker shock on basics--like kraft cheese in the grocery store--is crazy.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I have seen crazy cheap flight deals to Iceland. BUT--when you get there, everything is EXPENSIVE. Like food is crazy expensive. People have loved their trips there, but the sticker shock on basics--like kraft cheese in the grocery store--is crazy.
    So true!! We stayed in hotels where breakfast was included, but spent SO MUCH on other meals. Like $140 for four bowls of MUSHROOM SOUP, at a very un-fancy place. Seriously crazy prices!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We looked at going there as well. Watch the sunrise/sunset times. You might end up with a 6 hour day of light to see things.
    Kris

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I took my boys there last July (very different given 24/7 light and warmer (all relative as it was between 8 and 12 C the entire time) temps). At the time, they were 9 and 12. We rented a camper for three nights van and drove the entire south coast and had a blast. We did short, easy hikes (nothing younger kids couldn't handle) and they loved all the waterfalls, the black sand beaches, the glaciers and canyons. We also drove the Golden Circle and stayed a night in Reykjavik at a hotel and then a final night at the hotel out at the Blue Lagoon, which we visited our last morning for several hours (they also loved that). The only things we did that I don't think would be doable with your aged boys are the glacier walking and the zodiac tour of the glacier lagoon. I think you had to be 10 for those (younger DS was only a couple of months shy and they allowed it). Prices are outrageous, like others have said. We hit the grocery store to stock up our van and the bill was more than $200 for simple things - ramen, yogurt, sandwich fixings, fruit, veggies, hummus - for a few days for three. And when we did eat out the last couple of days it was super expensive. Maybe 3x more than in Chicago. But it was an amazing trip and, in our case, we kept the sticker shock to a minimum with the camper van approach for 3 of the 5 days.