Thread: Gymboree

Default Gymboree

Does anyone here still shop at Gymboree? Earlier this week, they completely rebranded and their clothing line is definitely more trendy. No more super bright colors and matchy matchy looks. As a mom of an older boy, I can appreciate the new line. DS is 8 and really had outgrown a lot of their styles. The price point is higher, so I don’t think I’ll be buying much until things start going on sale.

But oh my, the kerfuffle on social media. Moms are so angry. It’s overwhelmingly moms of baby girls and toddlers. It’s confusing because Gymboree said they did tons of surveys and focus group with parents. I’m not really sure how they missed such a large contingent unless this contingent is actually smaller but more vocal. Just curious what others thought of the new line.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Well, while I appreciate it for my older daughter (10), I already had plenty of places to shop for her. I miss the bright colors and matchy matchy style for my younger daughter and the baby boy we have on the way. I didn’t see anything that I was willing to pay the prices for. I’m not angry, it’s their company, but I won’t be buying anything and I’m a little sad that my baby boy won’t get to wear the cute matching styles that they used to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

They filed for bankruptcy. Clearly their old business model wasn't working. I think there's a small, very vocal group who will miss the look. I have a feeling it's probably still popular in the South. I think parents tend to dress kids more matchy-matchy there from my experience. (I could be off base, but that's how it seems when I've been in the South. It's just a different look.)

When my kids were babies and toddlers, people were all about Gymboree. But now the parents of kids that age don't seem to be into that look. It doesn't seem like it would appeal to millennials or Gen Y. Styles change. Even HA has changed their look from those super bright clashy stripes.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I have a feeling it's probably still popular in the South. I think parents tend to dress kids more matchy-matchy there from my experience. (I could be off base, but that's how it seems when I've been in the South. It's just a different look.)
    Yeah, there's definitely a certain demographic in the South that's into that look.

I understand being disappointed, but some posters have just been nasty. Between the Build a Bear hot mess and this, I'm just glad my parents never acted like this.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Yeah, there's definitely a certain demographic in the South that's into that look.
    True (and there’s definitely a demographic that wears seersucker suits and loafers without socks...) but there are lots of others who wouldn’t dream of dressing anyone in all matchy-matchy all the time

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Gymboree

I liked Gymboree for quality and never matched my girls, and I always coordinated between lines of the same season....the Gymbofriends moms probably thought I was nuts. I had no idea they had released new stuff, and rebranded as it has been about 3 years since I shopped there, but it might be a nice alternative to Old Navy and Target especially if the clothes still wear well. Their swim suits were my favorite and never stretched and DD2 wore DD1’s that were in awesome shape.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    True (and there’s definitely a demographic that wears seersucker suits and loafers without socks...) but there are lots of others who wouldn’t dream of dressing anyone in all matchy-matchy all the time

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    I have a friend here in SoCal who matches her 12 and 8 year old girls, but she has never done it in Gymboree because that wasn’t hip enough so she gets off beat style stuff from Nordstrom Rack, Nordstrom, Zulily, and random surf shops like Tilly’s, Roxy, etc., and now that she has her own clothing printing business they get matching trucker hats or t shirts for lots of occasions including anytime they go see a new hip movie like Wonder or The Incredibles 2. I think the girls are over it, but the mom still does it anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    In DC, you'll occasionally see a grown man wearing a full-gown man wearing a seersucker suit. I'm sure their sons dress in John-Johns too.
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just yesterday a photo from nine years ago popped up in my Facebook memories. It showed my boys in coordinating outfits from Gymboree. It has been a while since I’ve shopped there, as my “baby” is starting fourth grade, but, when they were small, I used to like to dress them in items from the same collection for pictures or special occasions. Plus, when my boys took Gymboree classes, I was always getting coupons and Gymbucks.

Their current styles seem indistinguishable from what I would find at Crazy 8.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    In DC, you'll occasionally see a grown man wearing a full-gown man wearing a seersucker suit. I'm sure their sons dress in John-Johns too.
    Yeah but this contigent isn't wearing Gymboree - at all. It's Lilly all the way or Beaufort bonnet company or Vineyard Vines.

Totally different demographic.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Yeah but this contigent isn't wearing Gymboree - at all. It's Lilly all the way or Beaufort bonnet company or Vineyard Vines.

Totally different demographic.
    Definitely!
    6/08 - Preemies no more!