Default ISO: Baby Monitors for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing

Hi all,

I'm a FTM, due in September, and I'm wondering if you have recommendations on Baby Monitors geared towards the deaf/hard of hearing??

My aunt will be providing in-home nannying for me, unfortunately she's lost the majority of her hearing over the last year for medical reasons her doctors can't seem to pinpoint. She's concerned she won't be able to hear the baby cry and is hoping there's some sort of monitor to help alert her.

I've found a few varieties online but was hoping for recommendations from other parents.

Thanks in advance.

-Ryanne

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default ISO: Baby Monitors for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing

Try posting in the lounge since no one has replied here yet. Wondering if DualvansMommy can help...I recall her mentioning using a vibrating device/baby monitor.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Quote Originally Posted by ryannenoelle7a View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a FTM, due in September, and I'm wondering if you have recommendations on Baby Monitors geared towards the deaf/hard of hearing??

My aunt will be providing in-home nannying for me, unfortunately she's lost the majority of her hearing over the last year for medical reasons her doctors can't seem to pinpoint. She's concerned she won't be able to hear the baby cry and is hoping there's some sort of monitor to help alert her.

I've found a few varieties online but was hoping for recommendations from other parents.

Thanks in advance.

-Ryanne
    I’m a deaf parent. It’s been several years since I’ve used one! So info may be bit old but I asked around and this one seems popular among deaf parents now. Especially helpful if your Aunt has an iPhone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DQID38I...105f0087267dc9

However, believe it or not most deaf parents just use regular video baby monitors. It’s more reliable for one thing; and I went through 2-3 different systems between my boys. Cannot recommend the baby summer infant monitor enough! I’m sure there’s a newer version of it out on market now. It was always consistent to my boys cries and not from other background noise, it also covered large square footage as that was important since we have over 2,800 sq feet.

The other is for when my husband and I are sleeping overnight. Not sure whether it’s relevant for your aunt. But the sonic baby alarm is the most effective vibrating device. It comes in with either option of vibrating underneath your mattress and it’s pretty powerful! Or flashes your night lamp. I set it to both as I was afraid I’ll sleep through the vibrating part if I was bone tired!

https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Bomb-Ba.../dp/B00494MBK0

It needs the sonic boom alarm clock for the receiver to work though.

Your aunt can plug the receiver into the socket of your baby’s room. And plug the receiver into any lamp she is in often. Den or wherever, so whenever baby cries the lamp will flash. Alerting her to check the video monitor. It’s what I did. I had several plugged in around my house so it’ll always flashed whenever room it has the receiver.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14