Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Parents in cold climates, what do your older elementary girls wear for a winter coat?

Are the kids at your kids' schools super into brands? Wondering if things like North Face are important with this age group. I'm looking at/ considering one of the coats in the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale for my DD.
    If you don't do the expensive name brand thing, where do you get your girls' coats? We get into temps below zero, but I'm mostly looking for a casual coat that she would wear out and about, at recess and when the temps are more in the 20s and 30s.
    I like the idea of NF for resale, and DD2 could also wear it later, but not for another 6 years, so styles may change by then?

Thanks!

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Mine has worn ZeroXposur or Lands' End the past couple of years. She's going into 7th now and prefers to be warm. So far, she's not very influenced by brand names.
    Kris

DD just wore lands end of whatever was at Costco. Now she’s going into 7th grade, and she still doesn’t care about brands. I wouldn’t shell out extra $$$ for north face for an elementary student. You can get lands end jackets on sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

DD started caring more about brands in 5th grade. That was when she would only wear Nike shoes, not the sneakers I bought at Target.

Seventh grade is when she got more into brand name clothing. Now that she's 13 and heading into 8th grade I'm more aware of how important brands are and try to seek out brand name clothing for her.

We live in MN and last year she wore a C9 jacket from Target with no major complaints. This year I picked up a jacket from Hollister for $40 that should work for warmth and brand approval, and the low price felt like a major score for me. North Face isn't in our budget and we're not a sporty family so it's not necessary anyway.

https://www.hollisterco.com/shop/us/...d=12744&seq=02

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We live in New England and DD usually wears a Land's End or LL Bean jacket, and I see the same on most of her friends. She doesn't really care about brands though (going into sixth). Last year I got her a Boden jacket bc it was cute and on sale. I didn't think it was warm enough for skiing or really cold days so she also had an LE/LLB (not sure which) one for that.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

Mid-Atlantic, so not really cold-cold. I've only ever bought them LE or LLB, and the "warmest" jacket from Gap when they were tots. They are shockingly uninterested in fashion, and I'm pretty sure couldn't name Nike. (Seriously, if I wasn't there from the beginning I'd doubt they were mine!) But even among the fashionable kids, I see mostly LL Bean and a few TNF.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

My daighter started caring about what was “in” in fourth grade. For a few years, the nf jacket with the contrasting color flleece liner was in. The last two years she has asked for a Patagonia jacket—she was growing very rapidly, and could not wear the same jacket two years in a row. At 13 and 5 foot 8, I think she has stopped growing and will use last year’s coat for a few years. Still see alot of nf as well. The kid sizes of both brands are much cheaper than the adult versions, and nf jackets are sometimes included in the Nordstrom annoversary sale.

We are in midatlantic so jacket only really needs to be for 20 to 40 degrees.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My kids and their peers aren’t into brands. Thank goodness. I usually buy LLB or at Costco. Those Costco prices can’t be beat!
    Unless your kids actually say something, don’t buy stuff to “keep up with the Joneses”. And if they do bring it up, talk it through. Maybe your budget can allow for some splurges but if you open the door too much you might wind up footing much larger bills because “everyone else has one!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It isn’t about being “into” brands here but some of the North Face or Patagonia coats are what parents like for quality and parents and kids like for styling/colors and many shop at REI here and something is always on sale. We have had Lands End too and they are good, but the cheaper no name coats haven’t held up as well or been nearly as waterproof as the “name brands” and including Lands End or LLBean as name brands. We just don’t go to Costco much and by middle school it isn’t the first place I’d look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of parents here buy North Face or similar, but many of those coats come from our school clothing sales and aren’t new. My kids wear Land’s End. I buy their jackets, snow pants, and gloves on sale. Both my kids are fashion conscious, but it’s much more about expressing their own style than fitting in or adhering to popular brands. I haven’t noticed brand consciousness in my kids or their peers quite yet. With coats, function trounces fashion every time, and I think that holds true for most of the parents, too. My kids are 6 and 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast