Default Hardwood floor help

My DH and I are totally not handy so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There is a half dollar sized spot in the middle of our floor where someone spilled hair dye. The dye mostly wiped off pretty so the color stayed only faintly (fortunately he color was brown and so are our floors), but the chemicals seem to have eaten away the varnish in that area. We will need to get the floors in our whole house redone in a few years after normal wear and tear from living with kids so we don’t want to spend a ton of money paying to get it fixed now. Any do it yourself tips for products I could buy or ways to temporarily fix it in the meantime? I don’t need it to look perfect - just passable.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When we got some scratches on our brand new hardwood floors, we sanded it down with very fine grit sandpaper (which sounds like isn't a step you would need?) and then used a tiny paint brush to put polyurethane over the sanded areas. Worked well that I can tell so far! We just bought a tiny pot of Minwax polyurethane. I don't remember what finish we got (satin?), but we tried to match the finish of the floor (low gloss vs. super shiny).
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    When we got some scratches on our brand new hardwood floors, we sanded it down with very fine grit sandpaper (which sounds like isn't a step you would need?) and then used a tiny paint brush to put polyurethane over the sanded areas. Worked well that I can tell so far! We just bought a tiny pot of Minwax polyurethane. I don't remember what finish we got (satin?), but we tried to match the finish of the floor (low gloss vs. super shiny).