niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Where store items for organizing?

I have several plastic totes, smaller baskets and containers that I’m not currently using for organizing items, but I don’t want to get rid of them. When I change things around in a cabinet/closet, I check my stash before I go buy something. Eg. The container store sweater boxes were used for DS’s toys in Expedit for years, then pantry storage during remodel to keep dust out of food, now some are in a closet and others aren’t being used, but may come back into use.

I stack everything up to keep small footprint, but some are the big plastic totes. I only have the garage for storage. Wonder if I’m keeping too many, what can I do with them so not in the way.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Would they fit under beds or sofa?
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

I do not keep many, but what I do keep I try to put in pantry or closets to hold items that would be there anyway. They aren’t necessary or adding organization, but basically taking up the same space as what would be there already. Like now I have a big tote holding toilet paper rolls. Lid on the bottom so it's not covered up, but not in my way and taking up the same space as TP rolls are always there. I just emptied the tote of outgrown clothes for consignment so I’ll need it again, but not now. I have a few extra multipurpose bins in the closet and stick kleenex boxes in them.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by specialp View Post
    I do not keep many, but what I do keep I try to put in pantry or closets to hold items that would be there anyway. They aren’t necessary or adding organization, but basically taking up the same space as what would be there already. Like now I have a big tote holding toilet paper rolls. Lid on the bottom so it's not covered up, but not in my way and taking up the same space as TP rolls are always there. I just emptied the tote of outgrown clothes for consignment so I’ll need it again, but not now. I have a few extra multipurpose bins in the closet and stick kleenex boxes in them.
    Good idea!

I have the same problem. I have them all stacked and under the basement stairs, but would rather use that space for something else. I'm going to shift things around in September.
    Kris

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Many plastic containers are stackable so you may be able to do that. For example, if you have two plastic totes and you are using one to store paper towels, stack the unused empty one underneath the full tote and place the unused lid under both totes. It will add a small amount to the height and width but not really a significant amount.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I keep the more expensive containers stacked neatly 8n my basement storage room. I donate decorative baskets and Inexpensive containers from the dollar store.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The bins the size of the Container Store sweater boxes and smaller I keep stacked up on the top shelf of DS2's closet. Big bins I keep stacked in the garage.

Good idea for just using bins to hold stuff even if if it's not adding organization. I think I'll try that with my extra toilet paper and tissues that are in our linen closet.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Where store items for organizing?

Good idea to use some for storage, even if not needed as it’s then used until needed for something else. I’ll see where I can put some into use so less stacked in the garage.
    I don’t think many will fit under the bed or sofa, but that is a good idea to use those spaces if I can.

I’ve reused so many containers/baskets as our organizing needs have changed that I want to keep them, but need them to be out of the way. I’ll look and see if any can be donated.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 08-03-2018 at 11:21 PM.