Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    I was angry on your behalf until I read it’s 50 bucks for full day week camp. Not to discount your grievance, cuz I would be annoyed! But honestly, what would a parent expect for 50 bucks per week camp? I wouldn’t imagine a lot of high level structure.

I signed up my boys for a sport focus half day camp as a drop in (3 days a week) and it’s 300 bucks for both boys! Just to give you a bit of perspective and I would be very angry if I came to find out they spend majority of 4 hours watching a movie at that price level. I don’t know how much camps cost typically in your area though, if 100 a week is your mid range option then I would just ask next time at drop off if more movies were gonna be expected and you can determine. But I agree whole point of camp is getting your kid to be busy in mind and body, otherwise I would have hosted play dates at my place. For I would mention, if nothing else in principle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Well, it is cheap even for here but the director posted a lengthy and detailed list of items the kids would be learning and doing and it wasn't listed anywhere that movies were a part of the week! At least the camp he attended last summer let us know when there was going to be a movie day.
    I actually went back to their FB ad and it starts out with 'looking for a way to get your kids away from screens this summer?' Ha!
    He said they did watch a movie today too but they had the option of playing a game if they would rather.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Watching with other kids is better than sitting home. And he’s getting out of the house and some physical activity. For $50 for a week of full time child care, go out to lunch with your friends and don’t stress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, watching a show with other kids is at least more interactive than watching it at home. But, I'm not doing this just for childcare, or a way to fill up time. I'm a SAHM so I provide his childcare. I was hoping it would be enriching and that he would be introduced to different forms of martial arts and self-defense methods as was explicitly stated in the ad.
    Also, now I get to wonder every day if he is going to be exposed to media that isn't age appropriate or doesn't mesh with my standards.
    I guess what I'm getting at is that regardless of the price I wouldn't have done the camp if I had known upfront that movies were involved. I have an ongoing list of other enriching activities that we ccould be doing. But, this sounded like something different to try.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 08-08-2018 at 12:11 AM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

I've sent my DDs to day camps on and off every year since probably kindergarten, and they've never watched a movie at one. I'm not even really anti-screen time, but they can watch movies at home. I get why OP is annoyed. I'm a SAHM too, and there are kids in the neighborhood. I send DDs to day camps for something fun and different. It's not the end of the world, but I wouldn't sign up again, and I'd give them feedback letting them know that I wasn't expecting a movie every day.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Default So much for limited screen time....

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Yes, watching a show with other kids is at least more interactive than watching it at home. But, I'm not doing this just for childcare, or a way to fill up time. I'm a SAHM so I provide his childcare. I was hoping it would be enriching and that he would be introduced to different forms of martial arts and self-defense methods as was explicitly stated in the ad.
    Also, now I get to wonder every day if he is going to be exposed to media that isn't age appropriate or doesn't mesh with my standards.
    I guess what I'm getting at is that regardless of the price I wouldn't have done the camp if I had known upfront that movies were involved. I have an ongoing list of other enriching activities that we ccould be doing. But, this sounded like something different to try.
    I guess we have different philosophies and I am fine if not everything is enriching. And for $50 I wouldn’t expect tons of “enrichment” (camps here range from a low of $300 a week and on up). Hope he gets some martial arts experience too and sorry it oversold itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HannaAddict; 08-08-2018 at 05:51 AM.

OP maybe the camp showed Mighty Ducks to teach why bragging is bad and empathy is good. Just a thought.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2