Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Favorite EASY Foil-Packet Recipes?

Hi everyone!

I'm taking my Brownies camping next month and would like to cook one meal, that being DINNER on our 2nd night with the idea of going with either a one-pot/dutch oven OR foil packet meal, depending on the girls' preferences.

I rather lean towards the foil packets as that will require the least cleanup, but I've seen some amazing recipes for pasta (including a dutch-oven lasagna that looks fantastic!) and cooked a chicken-and-rice dish myself as part of my camping training.

So, hit me up with your favorite EASY foil-packet recipes using CHICKEN or PORK. (I'm not quite brave enough to try fish, though I'm sure salmon or mahi-mahi would be lovely.)

I can probably approximate cook-times based on how much charcoal I use (X number of briquettes equals 350F, etc.) or how high the flame will be.

Thanks in advance!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Favorite EASY Foil-Packet Recipes?

We do foil packet dinners regularly as a family (after getting the idea from Cub Scouts). I lay out an assembly line and everyone adds what they like. We usually do raw ground beef, but it might be easier for you to do some pre-cooked chicken chunks. Other items I put out are frozen hash brown potatoes, shredded or sliced carrots, diced onions, sliced mushrooms, broccoli. Plenty of other options too but those are what my family will use. We spray the foil with Pam first, add potatoes next so they brown on the foil, then meat and veggies. Then dabs of butter and Lawry’s season salt. I like a spoon of cream of mushroom on mine but no one else in my family does so I don’t usually open a can. You could also offer shredded cheese. You could use or offer hot dogs or chicken nuggets for the meat in case some kids are picky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always buy ready to go, but would love to cook something by myself, would love to find some good recepies here.

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    We do foil packet dinners regularly as a family (after getting the idea from Cub Scouts). I lay out an assembly line and everyone adds what they like. We usually do raw ground beef, but it might be easier for you to do some pre-cooked chicken chunks.
    I've worked it out with one of the leaders we're sharing sites with and we are going with pre-cooked chicken and maybe some heat-and-serve sausages like Al Fresco or TJ's brand, depending on what I can get the cheapest.

The campsite will accommodate 42 people and we already have 23 for Saturday because we are sharing with two other small troops to cover training requirements and adult-to-girl ratios.

Other items I put out are frozen hash brown potatoes, shredded or sliced carrots, diced onions, sliced mushrooms, broccoli. Plenty of other options too but those are what my family will use. We spray the foil with Pam first, add potatoes next so they brown on the foil, then meat and veggies. Then dabs of butter and Lawry’s season salt.
    Do you use the BBQ-formulated Pam spray or the regular? And what might you use if aerosols are HIGHLY frowned upon at the site? (We were told we need to tell parents not to bring/send aerosol sunscreen or bug spray, for example.)

I was definitely counting on a little bit of fat and some TJ's "21 Seasoning Salute", seasoned salt (this is probably about the same as Lawry's), pepper, and maaaybe taco seasoning in a shaker.

Thank you!

I like a spoon of cream of mushroom on mine but no one else in my family does so I don’t usually open a can. You could also offer shredded cheese. You could use or offer hot dogs or chicken nuggets for the meat in case some kids are picky.
    I like the idea of offering shredded cheese on top!

On a charcoal fire, once the coals are white-hot, about how long do they take to cook? IIRC, most recipes I've read say about 20 minutes if you're not overloading your packet.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

We've only made it at home, but love this one: https://www.melskitchencafe.com/foil...-potato-tacos/

I usually use ground turkey, but I'm sure it would work fine with ground chicken as well!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You should be able to drizzle olive or canola oil on the foil instead of using Pam, spreading with a brush or folded paper towel square to spread if needed to keep the foil from sticking to the contents.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I use regular Pam but I agree that a drizzle or brush or non-aerosol spray of oil should do the trick instead.

It’s been a long time since we’ve done them on a campfire, but we always do 20 minutes in the grill or oven so that sounds about right.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    You should be able to drizzle olive or canola oil on the foil instead of using Pam, spreading with a brush or folded paper towel square to spread if needed to keep the foil from sticking to the contents.
    I will definitely add a small bottle of olive oil to the list plus a silicone pastry brush (it'll last longer in my kit.)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I use regular Pam but I agree that a drizzle or brush or non-aerosol spray of oil should do the trick instead.

It’s been a long time since we’ve done them on a campfire, but we always do 20 minutes in the grill or oven so that sounds about right.

Good luck!
    Thank you! We're basically cooking the veggies and warming the protein.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by MommyAllison View Post
    We've only made it at home, but love this one: https://www.melskitchencafe.com/foil...-potato-tacos/

I usually use ground turkey, but I'm sure it would work fine with ground chicken as well!
    Cool!

Because our group at the campsite is so large this go-round, I think we're going to go with nfceagles's method, but I will definitely keep this in mind for the spring (our service unit has another campout planned then), assuming we won't be sharing with two other troops.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Ooh! My girl scouts LOVE foil packet meals. I bring pre-browned ground beef and cooked chicken cut into chunks. Canned green beans, peas, carrots, sliced canned potatoes, shredded cheese. Then ranch, BBQ sauce, catsup. They only take about 10 min to cook with everything pre cooked. I hate the thought of raw meat and kids cooking. We generally also do foil packet pizzas too -tortilla, shredded cheese, pizza sauce (I usually just get a can of spaghetti sauce, pepperoni. We have a very diverse group of girls and all of them (and the adults) will eat some variation of these. The quesadillas only take about 5 min-they are easy to burn so I've bought a rack to put them on.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast