lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Meatballs with Lean Meat

I have a lot of lean beef and sweet Italian turkey that I would like to use up for meatballs. I typically make large batches and freeze them individually, but use a higher fat meat to keep them from being too dry. Is there something that I can add to the meat mixture to add in extra moisture? Maybe whole milk or half and half? If so, how much?

I have very hungry & growing 10 and 16 year old boys, so not concerned with the extra fat for them. Most of the low-fat meatball recipes call for cooking them in a tomato sauce so they are not dry. Would prefer to not cook in a sauce so that they are more versatile for different types of meals (Italian vs. Asian, etc).

I have 5 pounds of meat to use, so would appreciate any suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t eat beef or pork, so I always make meatballs using turkey, and they’re not at all dry. I have several ways of making them depending on what kind of sauce I’m going to use (tomato, stroganoff, Swedish, etc.), and I often make them (and turkey burgers) without adding anything. Just like regular meatballs, though, you can add some breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, egg. If you want to be certain they’ll be very moist, mince onions and mushrooms in the cuisinart and add them to the meat. I do that with turkey meatloaf. For a recipe, go to skinnytaste.com. She has a lot of turkey meatball recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I like to add ricotta cheese for extra moisture. I don't have an exact measurement as I tend to wing it a bit. I sometimes do add milk or half and half as well, but usually to soak breadcrumbs, not just by itself. I never considered that it adds moisture, but I do put quite a lot of minced onions in mine as well.
    Lizi

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The recipe I use calls for some milk and half and half. I ended up using all half and half instead and a splash of cream. They tasted great, my boys said they were the best I’ve made!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk