Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default What do we think of Parakeets?

For reasons that make sense to us all, DC wants a pet bird. While I am lobbying for a button quail, DC is leaning towards a parakeet... We have found a very reputable parakeet breeder so we would not be purchasing through a pet store..

We have pets, but no experience with birds. Any tips, ideas, suggestions, opinions, ect. are VERY much welcome...

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Following bc my kids want parakeets/budgies too. If we didn't already have an entire menagerie of pets, I might consider it. But I have enough things to keep alive, fed and clean right now! From what I have read and seen, they're smart and interactive and relatively easy pets.

for Sandy Hook

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

No personal experience, but I was recently talking with a mom friend from DD's school. They had gotten some parakeets and quickly rehomed them. She said they were loud, messy and much more work than she thought they would be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I grew up with parakeets and think they're absolutely delightful. Yes, they are work - you need to keep cages clean and make sure they are in a non-drafty area, find pet sitters when you leave town, etc. The flooring around the cage gets messy and you need to vacuum regularly. They're cute and really interactive (if tame enough) and I actually love the noises they make, different chirps depending on if they want attention or are just babbling to themselves or are hoping for food or are bickering or whatever...it's so cute!

I took care of one over a summer. I hated cleaning it’s cage so much. I found it worse than a litter box. But he was so cute and fun. They have a habit of falling into things and drowning (sinks, toilets etc.) so make sure you keep them away from water. If my kids wanted one I’d probably sigh and get one.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I grew up with them. Cleaning is sweeping under/around cage daily and changing the papers at the bottom every day or 2. 1x a week, cleaning the cage completely and adding new papers.

I've had several that could talk. its not the most 'beautiful' voice but its cute as a kid to have a pet that talks to you.

intelligence varies greatly - I had a couple that could do tricks and 1 that was clearly 'challenged' I could keep him in an open strawberry container and he wouldnt get out. just didnt figure out to climb out.

They live in flocks and are pretty social so be prepared to really interact with them daily - ie, keep them in the main room of the house or get more than 1. mine used to do hw with me shower with me etc.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Just an update...

We rescued a parakeet from the ASPCA in March. He is adorable and very vocal, but not terribly loud. Since he is a rescue, he is not hand tamed, but we are working on it.

The cage is SUPER easy to keep clean (he is the easiest pet we have). I change the paper and wipe down the cage once a week. DC changes water daily and food every couple of days. The biggest thing for us is to keep the wings clipped. DC is not confident enough to do it herself so we take him to the vet or the local independent pet store when the needs them clipped.

All in all, the parakeet is a great pet...

Hope this helps someone .

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    Just an update...

We rescued a parakeet from the ASPCA in March. He is adorable and very vocal, but not terribly loud. Since he is a rescue, he is not hand tamed, but we are working on it.

The cage is SUPER easy to keep clean (he is the easiest pet we have). I change the paper and wipe down the cage once a week. DC changes water daily and food every couple of days. The biggest thing for us is to keep the wings clipped. DC is not confident enough to do it herself so we take him to the vet or the local independent pet store when the needs them clipped.

Thanks for the update.
    What kind of cage do you have? I had a small finch when I was a kid and the cage was a huge pain to clean.... but I am sure cages have come a long way since then.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default What do we think of Parakeets?

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    Just an update...

What a good update! Glad the parakeet found a good match with your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 08-15-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Your update makes me feel so happy! What a lucky parakeet!
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast