Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS1 is 15 and definitely needs more sleep. On the weekends and over summer, if I didn't wake him up he'd still be asleep at 5pm!!! If I didn't get on his case, he'd read a book until the next day. He's supposed to have lights out at 10:30pm, but if he's reading he'll completely lose track of time and I'll go in at 12:30am and he's like "oh, I didn't realize it was so late." So no, he doesn't self regulate at all. He'd read an entire book every single night. Plus his eczema has been horrible for the past year and he often can't sleep because he's so itchy. His bed sheets were covered in blood from scratching so much and he just started wearing cotton gloves to bed and listening to a hypnosis for eczema (to stop scratching) every night when he goes to bed. Luckily, the recording causes him to pass out before it ends (30 minutes). Before that he wasn't falling asleep until around midnight or later, which means he was only getting around 7 hours a night. Tonight he was asleep by 10:45. He gets out of bed at 7:20 every morning for school.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS1 has been going to sleep at 10 and is asleep by 1030 and he gets up at 6 or 630. I think he needs more but that is where we are. 7.5 hrs is what I bet is his average. It is also my average and I need more!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My 9th grader goes to be around 10 and usually goes to sleep around 10:30...although I suspect there are nights he stays up later on his computer or phone. He wakes up at 7:30-7:45 (in our district, high school has the latest start time).

My 7th grader goes to bed at 9...sometimes 9:30...and wakes at 5:45 (he has the early bus at 6:35).

My 4th grader goes to bed at 9 as well. It was 8:30, but there are nights that we don't get home from various activities until after 8 pm...so we stretched it until 9. He wakes up at 7...although sometimes he'll get up on his own earlier.

Right now it is a quarter to 8 on a Saturday morning and the kids are all still in bed. Which is unusual..but we had a late night with our neighborhood Christmas tree lighting last night.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    I prefer that my 13 y.o. DD continue to get a good amount of sleep but maybe my expectation needs to be adjusted. How many hours do you all feel comfortable with? Esp as they get even older? We had a blow up last night when I told her to go to bed @9:30 pm. She usually wakes up @7am. A post about time management, etc., is probably relevant, but I don't want it to get too off topic either. TIA
    To me, it's more about how she acts during the day/upon waking. If she's tough to wake, really moody, and acts sleep deprived, then I'd be a stickler on the bedtime. But if she seems well rested, I'd allow her to go to bed a bit later.

Quote Originally Posted by okinawama View Post
    To me, it's more about how she acts during the day/upon waking. If she's tough to wake, really moody, and acts sleep deprived, then I'd be a stickler on the bedtime. But if she seems well rested, I'd allow her to go to bed a bit later.
    I agree. If she is waking up easily, on time, and in a good mood she is probably getting enough sleep. If she is grumpy or has to be prodded out of bed she is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

This original thread is months old. Someone bumped it up. Not sure it’s still being watched by OP...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Thanks all. I happened to notice some new activity, so I am now up to speed I agree with many of you. As of now, I still have the 9:30 bedtime set, but we've agreed that if she needs to stay up later for homework, she needs to tell me an hour before (so nothing last minute) and I will most likely let her stay up later to finish her work. She always wakes up on her own, often before 7, so I think she's currently getting enough sleep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2