Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default How many hours of sleep for your teen?

I prefer that my 13 y.o. DD continue to get a good amount of sleep but maybe my expectation needs to be adjusted. How many hours do you all feel comfortable with? Esp as they get even older? We had a blow up last night when I told her to go to bed @9:30 pm. She usually wakes up @7am. A post about time management, etc., is probably relevant, but I don't want it to get too off topic either. TIA

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I know 8-10 is ideal. Mine probably gets closer to 7-8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My 14 year old typically gets 8-8.5 hours for school. He'll usually sleep in on weekends, making it more like 9-10 hours. This child has ALWAYS gotten by with far less sleep than I think he needs (even far less than I need!) , even as a toddler, but he's fine. When he is tired I gently remind him that the only way to make the tiredness go away is to sleep.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

My 14 year old goes up to bed at 9:30pm. He reads and is asleep by 10:15-10:30. He is up at 6, so 7.5 hours or so. Tuesday, Friday and Saturday he does stay up later, but he gets up at 8am or later the next morning those days.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    My 14 year old goes up to bed at 9:30pm. He reads and is asleep by 10:15-10:30. He is up at 6, so 7.5 hours or so. Tuesday, Friday and Saturday he does stay up later, but he gets up at 8am or later the next morning those days.

OP- Fwiw, we do not have a bedtime for him. He's fine self regulating.

Sorry for the serial posting but did want to say that there are nights that that lights out around 10:30 doesn't happen. Like swim meets that get home at 9pm, musical practice that is over at 11pm... thankfully football games are on Friday nights since he gets home after midnight.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

OP- Fwiw, we do not have a bedtime for him. He's fine self regulating.
    Mine mostly does. They do tend to lose track of time it seems and I give him and DD a "hey it's 9:15, you should think about bed soon" and generally within about 30 minutes, they both go up. DS2 is 10 and still has a bedtime that we are working on figuring out for this year.
    Kris

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I hope for around 8-9hrs, so try for bed around 9-9:30. (DD2 definitely needs more.) DD1 gets up around 5:30-5:45, DD2 at about 6 bc she constantly sleeps thru her alarm. Bus comes at 6:40 so they better be ready!! (No I don't know what takes an hour to get ready, it's not like they're showering.)

Thinking DD1 might end up going to bed later as we learn the process of HS sports, homework, showering and unwinding when you don't get home til 7pm or later on game days.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

DD (12.5) and gets about 8.5 during the week. She swims until 9 and doesn’t get to bed until around 10. She’s up at 6:30 every day for school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Wow, this is surprising to me. I guess DH and I have kind of given up. DD1, age 16, is a night owl and procrastinator, as am I, and she doesn't start her homework until late. DH falls asleep early, then wakes up a few hours later, so our house is regularly humming late, late at night.

DD1 goes to bed at midnight to 1 am and gets up at 7:30. She is 16, so 6.5-7.5 hours of sleep. This has been true since age 14ish.

DD2 is in 8th grade and goes to bed at 10:30-11:30 pm and gets up at 7 am or so, so 7.5 to 8.5 hours. She does a decent job going to bed when she's tired, but also puts off doing things that could be done earlier, like showering and music practice. She often breaks out an instrument to practice after 10 pm and acts like I am crazy when I tell her it's too late.

Somehow it feels like less sleep, perhaps because they both sometimes stay up later. I prod them to go to bed, but hey just "uh huh" me, especially DD1. So no set bedtime, but not ideal self-regulation either.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast