Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with checking in with your mom to see what she feels she is able to do as far as bringing ds and than check in with the mom to find out if it is a drop off party or not. If it works for your mom to bring him, I would do that. If not, I would contact the mom and explain you really wish your ds could attend, but you are out of town. I would not feel badly about it if that is what happens; you tried, but you already had plans that don't allow your ds to attend.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Baseball lessons is not private...they practice for a while then play a little scrimmage game. It's like 2 hours long for 6 weeks this fall. So he would miss the session and 1/6th of the time we've paid for. And he LOVES it.

I didn't think it was a drop off party because the invitation said something along the lines of you need to park in x area, then go get on a train to get out to the party site. Plus it's 25 min away, so hardly time to go home. So I RSVP'd no, but she didn't respond to the text. Now I feel bad.

And OMG I just looked at the website and it seems like she paid $700 for this party I hope someone goes.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Can you change your rsvp? Sure, it’s a bummer to miss a fun game but it’s not really the end of the world if he does. Going to the party is worth missing 1/6 of these fun lessons, in this situation I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Can you change your rsvp? Sure, it’s a bummer to miss a fun game but it’s not really the end of the world if he does. Going to the party is worth missing 1/6 of these fun lessons, in this situation I think.

I probably would have gone if it had just been baseball and I could have taken him. But looking further into it, it just seems like it would be difficult for my mom to take him due to the timing and the drive and everything.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I probably would have gone if it had just been baseball and I could have taken him. But looking further into it, it just seems like it would be difficult for my mom to take him due to the timing and the drive and everything.
    It’d be a great chance to make a social connection and ask someone to take ds to the party that is also going. You could pay them back on another party.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’d really try to go! My DS is friends with a classmate who uses a wheelchair most of the time. This boy is the sweetest boy ever, but he doesn’t have a lot of friends because he isn’t running around the yard at recess and lunch like the other boys. My DS along with many classmates were invited to his birthday party at a fun and pricey party location. My DS was the only school friend to show up. There were some of his cousins there, but no one else from school. I felt so bad, as they went all out for this party. The kids still had a blast, but as a mom it pained me that not more kids came.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You RSVP'ed within the time frame. You have a VERY VALID reason that your child CANNOT attend. It is FINE!!! Everyone cannot make it to every party. This would be really difficult for your child to attend and he has another event happening at the same time.

Don't give it another thought... It is okay!

PS I replied further up and am the mom to a "different kind of kid"; don't worry about it

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would call the mom and ask if it's a drop-off party.

She called you with a lot of questions, so I don't think she will be put out by the direct phone call.

It gives you to opportunity to be friendly (you mentioned feeling that she caught you at a bad time when you last spoke), to explain your situation fully so she knows your child really does want to attend, to find our for certain if drop-off is an option, and for her to MAKE it an option if they really are short on yes RSVPs.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think i would go even more in this case than a "run of the mill" party for his mom and kid's sake. She probably was on pins and needles - judging by the phone call and the fact he may be special needs/on the spectrum - the whole time at your son's birthday party and now I bet she is super nervous having to host a party. Will he meltdown, will he interact well, etc. Maybe this boy is not on the close friend list of most kids and a lot of parents will skip it because he is not talked about/played with much (I know this isn't your issue). So for that reason I would make an effort to go and support him and his parents. Your mom would be perfect to take him!
    Last edited by flashy09; 09-24-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
    I think i would go even more in this case than a "run of the mill" party for his mom and kid's sake. She probably was on pins and needles - judging by the phone call and the fact he may be special needs/on the spectrum - the whole time at your son's birthday party and now I bet she is super nervous having to host a party. Will he meltdown, will he interact well, etc. Maybe this boy is not on the close friend list of most kids and a lot of parents will skip it because he is not talked about/played with much (I know this isn't your issue). So for that reason I would make an effort to go and support him and his parents. Your mom would be perfect to take him!

My thoughts as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast