Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default S/O: When did your DC start wearing deodorant?

The other thread about deodorant reminded me that I have been meaning to ask about this. DS is 8.5 and starting to smell a little. We were only doing showers every other day because of his sensitive skin, so we have upped that to daily and are making sure that he washes his underarms well with soap. He plays outside a lot and gets hot and sweaty. Is it time for deodorant? I feel so clueless about this stuff.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We started around that age. I made him put it on before sports practices because he seemed fine during the day. At his 9 year old check up, the pediatrician went over deodorant with him and why it’s important to use it and said he was old enough where is would start being necessary for daily use at any point. We got to that point at the end of last school year when it was getting warmer. He was about 9.5 when he needed it daily. He’s not quite 10 and I can tell when he doesn’t remember to use it if he’s close to me.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DH just noticed last night that DS1s pits were a little stinky, he is newly 9.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS started at 9.5 years.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

dd1 was 12 and really I gave it to her jic - she did not smell yet.

dd2 has already had a couple of instances where she skipped a bath on day A and on day B stank! She's been showering daily for the past year and I now sniff the pits after the shower and send her back in if they still smell. FOR SURE by next spring she'll need deodorant!! Ironically even after 10 mo of showing daily and being told its so she doesnt smell she still asks WHY she has to shower "again"!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default S/O: When did your DC start wearing deodorant?

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    We started around that age. I made him put it on before sports practices because he seemed fine during the day. At his 9 year old check up, the pediatrician went over deodorant with him and why it’s important to use it and said he was old enough where is would start being necessary for daily use at any point. We got to that point at the end of last school year when it was getting warmer. He was about 9.5 when he needed it daily. He’s not quite 10 and I can tell when he doesn’t remember to use it if he’s close to me.
    Did you bring that up with ped or ped suggested deodorant out the blue? Fascinated by this! Deodorant use not even mentioned at 12 year old check up. We will see if she mentions it for my ten year olds.

My 12 year is beginning to need it daily and especially before a double practice. He has also been sent back to the shower twice this week. That has never happened before! I think he could do a half a$& shower before and get away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by Kindra178; 09-06-2018 at 10:13 PM.

DD started at 9 maybe. DS1 is 9 and doesn’t use it yet. He’s small and delayed in growth. If he’s outside running around, he might smell a bit like a wet dog but not like BO.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    DD started at 9 maybe. DS1 is 9 and doesn’t use it yet. He’s small and delayed in growth. If he’s outside running around, he might smell a bit like a wet dog but not like BO.
    That's mainly what I get with my DS. To me he just smells like a kid who has been outside playing, but not really BO. But DH thinks he's too stinky. Maybe his sense of smell is more sensitive than mine. Either way, it doesn't sound like to too far outside of normal to start having him wear deodorant, especially while it is still so warm. I just don't want him to be the stinky kid, especially if other kids are already using it.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS started in 6th grade because the PE teacher asked all the kids to. He said it would be a curtesy to the rest of their teachers during the day. That cracked DH and I up, and in retrospect it seems like a really great non-stigma way to get tweens to think about how they smell. I don’t remember him actually needing it then, but I’m glad he got into the habit of it. DD is 12 and started applying it last year (6th grade!) but really doesn’t need it yet.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS1 didn't start wearing deodorant until 8th grade. He never smelled, perhaps because he was a competitive swimmer for 3 years and the daily chlorine killed everything???

DS2 is 9 and doesn't smell at all. In the summer when he's at camp he sometimes smells like he rolled in a dirt pit, but it's not a BO smell. I don't see him needing deodorant until middle school.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by essnce629; 09-07-2018 at 02:57 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast