Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don't really put much stock in rankings. What's the big deal? Have you visited the school? Have they cut programs? Do they offer AP courses, extracurriculars...? Sometimes the less well ranked schools (like ours) actually get a lot more support than the other schools. I wouldn't move because of school rank unless the school really has undergone some severe changes that impact the programs and courses now offered. But, moving for a house that fits your family better makes sense.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I don't really put much stock in rankings. What's the big deal? Have you visited the school? Have they cut programs? Do they offer AP courses, extracurriculars...? Sometimes the less well ranked schools (like ours) actually get a lot more support than the other schools. I wouldn't move because of school rank unless the school really has undergone some severe changes that impact the programs and courses now offered. But, moving for a house that fits your family better makes sense.
    OP, if you are happy where you are and the concern is simply "high school ranking is lower than you would like", I would stay put unless there is a huge reason to move (accredidation issues, cutting programs, teacher exodus...). High school is what kids make of it. If you have super bright kids who want to learn, they will find the classes and teachers that work for them, wherever they are! It's been a long time since I worked in college admissions, but I don't think the ranking of the high school is a big factor...

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    OP, if you are happy where you are and the concern is simply "high school ranking is lower than you would like", I would stay put unless there is a huge reason to move (accredidation issues, cutting programs, teacher exodus...). High school is what kids make of it. If you have super bright kids who want to learn, they will find the classes and teachers that work for them, wherever they are! It's been a long time since I worked in college admissions, but I don't think the ranking of the high school is a big factor...
    It is so great and reassuring to hear this perspective. Thanks for chiming in with Beth upthread.

For us, the sliding ranking is just one consideration. We went from single digits to upper 50s in rankings. Our other reasons are finding a bigger house (we live in a low inventory HCOL area). Strangely enough 2 of our neighboring towns are less expensive and have better high schools.We were going to move to a lower cost of living area once the kids were done with school anyways but then (with the recent sharing of bedrooms issue I'd posted about) we got to thinking may be we should move now.

But I believe the consensus in our home is, we'll stay for the next few years. DS is strong academically and is self-motivated. He's got a good group of friends which is very important for us to maintain. I see his confidence has grown socially. Our classes are small enough (at 60-70/grade) to foster relationship building for him and DS2 now in K. I can see how DS2 is benefitting from being familiar with the school campus, staff, afterschool etc. I don't want to uproot them just yet.

We'll re-evaluate how we feel in a year or two. We haven't ruled out independent high schools. But with 2 kids to pay for I'd rather save that money for college.

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh I just wrote a long reply and lost it. Basically, rankings aren’t necessarily a good indicator.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Ugh I just wrote a long reply and lost it. Basically, rankings aren’t necessarily a good indicator.
    Okay, I'd love to hear more. Maybe I should start a related thread.

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don’t have time to rewrite it at the moment, but I will definitely respond later as I have a lot to say on this topic ��
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I don’t have time to rewrite it at the moment, but I will definitely respond later as I have a lot to say on this topic ��
    Thanks much!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3