Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default North Carolina ladies - Hurricane Florence

I think most of our N.C. members are inland, but still. What are you all doing to prepare? We filled the propane tank on the grill this morning in case we lose power and can't cook, and DH is ordering a weather radio from Amazon as I type. I'm going to get bottled water at lunch. We have batteries and I'll double check that the portable chargers are charged.

Other than that, I think we're good and we're staying put. I have read that some folks in the Triangle (east of me) have booked hotel rooms in Georgia and even Florida.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

I'm not in NC, but it may hit DC region too. I bought bottled water and lots of canned goods today. Just now I thought to myself "why are we even staying?" We could drive to Ohio or Michigan where DH has relatives. I doubt he'll be into it, but I'm going to run it past him.

When the derecho hit here several years ago it was not fun. We were lucky, we were only without power for two days. There were some people who had no power for more than a week. And it was in the middle of summer so no air conditioning. My husband was McGyver and really got us through the situation. But that was a very short event. A hurricane that may park itself over us for days...maybe leaving is the best idea.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am outside of the Greenville area. We are staying put. DH works at the hospital and will have to be here. My MIL is evacuating from the Outer Banks tomorrow.

It sounds like you are making good preparations. I have been through hurricanes before, including Fran in 1996 which followed a pretty similar path. In that one my parents had some roof damage from the winds in Greensboro. I was in Raleigh at the time and we had people without power for 2 weeks (not me thankfully). It sounds like rain is going to be a huge issue for a lot of the state. Our house is not in a flood prone area but we have a couple of 100+ year old trees that are making me pretty nervous this time. Our last hurricane took out a couple of trees and our fence in 2 places and enough shingles that we needed a new roof. Evacuation would not be a consideration for me unless we were in a flood plain or were in a mobile home and even then I couldn't see leaving the state.

We are gassing up the vehicles and the tanks for the generator, stocking up on batteries and some water and taking some cash out. We don't generally keep much cash on hand so just in case ATMs are functional for a bit. I am also getting refills on a couple of medications that are running fairly low. Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Good luck to you and all of the other NC folk here!!
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

My parents are in SC and don't expect to get hit too bad, but have reserved a spot at a campground in Georgia and will probably go there unless the storm turns more to the north. They aren't worried about it, but are retired and enjoy camping and would prefer to be out in the trailer with full hookups than at home without power even if just for a day or so.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by kdeunc View Post

It sounds like you are making good preparations. I have been through hurricanes before, including Fran in 1996 which followed a pretty similar path. In that one my parents had some roof damage from the winds in Greensboro. I was in Raleigh at the time and we had people without power for 2 weeks (not me thankfully). It sounds like rain is going to be a huge issue for a lot of the state.
    I had just started my senior year at UNC when Fran hit. Everything really stirred up pretty late at night. I remember running out to move my car closer to my dorm because the lot where I had my permit was surrounded by tall trees. The next day was crazy -- huge trees completely uprooted, a couple on cars, etc. Classes were canceled that day. We might have lost power briefly, but I don't think for long.

And yes, I should include the Virginia and SC girls, too. My parents live in southern Virginia (about an hour north of Raleigh), and they are preparing as well.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm planning to stay put. We have a generator, and DH has to go fill up the gas tanks for that, so we should be good even with power loss. I'm a little worried we'll lose some trees, but we've had most of the concerning ones removed in the last year or so. Sine I work with Transportation, I'm more worried about what bridges are going to be washed out, etc., that we have to take care of in an emergency type way.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm in the triangle. We'll fill up some large containers and the bathtubs with water, and I bought a bunch of non-perishables this morning. We have a camp stove and plenty of propane, so all I need to do now is make sure we have plenty of ice in the freezer. I'm also trying to clear out the garage so I can get my car in there.

I have to say, I'm totally stressed right now. We're selling this house next week, and had just installed an (expensive) drain and sump pump to keep our crawl space dry. As far as I know, that will be utterly useless if we lose power. And DH can't find a generator for love or money anywhere near us.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

We have gas, charcoal, water, batteries. The unknowns are wind speed, flooding, and downed trees.

Oddly enough - we were on the tree service schedule to remove a couple of dead trees for the end of the week.....

There's only been one direct hit of a CAT 4 hurricane (Hazel). I remember my daddy talking about it and this one scares the beejeezus out me.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hawai’i and Guam are threatened, too. There are at least half a dozen storms all across the tropical latitudes.

Stay safe, everyone.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    I'm in the triangle. We'll fill up some large containers and the bathtubs with water, and I bought a bunch of non-perishables this morning. We have a camp stove and plenty of propane, so all I need to do now is make sure we have plenty of ice in the freezer. I'm also trying to clear out the garage so I can get my car in there.

I have to say, I'm totally stressed right now. We're selling this house next week, and had just installed an (expensive) drain and sump pump to keep our crawl space dry. As far as I know, that will be utterly useless if we lose power. And DH can't find a generator for love or money anywhere near us.
    Oh man, I can imagine how stressful that must be, both for keeping your existing property in good shape and fingers crossed for your new home so the transactions can proceed as scheduled. Sending you BBB mojo the storm weakens soon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast