JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What am I looking for? Installing GPS and hands free phone capabilities in older car

I have a 2010 Mazda 5 that I intend to keep for several years. If it is not financially prohibited I would like to pay to have systems installed that allow me to use GPS on a screen that is larger than my phone (so I can easily view it without holding it) and also talk/answer my phone completely hands-free. The car has no bluetooth at all (I checked). I also tried buying a $20 device that allows me to plug my phone into various places in the car and then gives bluetooth capabilities to the phone; but it is more of a hassle/doesnt work as well as I would like.

I want to pay someone to do this, as I have zero skills in this area. I know we have some local places that do this type of thing, but I want to ask for the right thing as I would rather call or e-mail than go in. Do I want a bluetooth system installed? Or something else or additional? I know there are GPS only systems and I am open to that as long as I can see/hear it easily and there is no monthly fee, but I would still want to access the phone capabilities without having to touch the phone as well. Ideally, I would also be able to listen to the radio; its fine if I need to stop the radio when talking on the phone; I just want to switch back easily. Oh, ideally I would be able to stream music from the phone...but that is a last priority.

Also, I realize this would vary a lot, but any idea of how much something like this would cost, both for the equipment and installation?

Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think you want a new "head unit". If I were you I would get one with AppleCarplay/Android auto functionality. That will take care of all you need, and that's all I use in my new car.
    This is just something I pulled up quickly.
    https://www.gearbrain.com/apple-car-...526693008.html
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I think you want a new "head unit". If I were you I would get one with AppleCarplay/Android auto functionality. That will take care of all you need, and that's all I use in my new car.
    This is just something I pulled up quickly.
    https://www.gearbrain.com/apple-car-...526693008.html

Thanks! Yes, I think this is what I am looking for. Not cheap, are they..and then there will be installation on top of that.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

I have a garmin GPS that can move between cars and I find the screen size quite adequate for viewing the map while driving. It have voice activation which is a bit spotty for some things (like local, non-chain stores it almost never correctly understands what I'm looking for). I believe the models with Bluetooth will connect to a phone with bluetooth but I don't use this so look into it for sure. A decent garmin GPS with lifetime updates of maps and live traffic will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $150-200. Not built in but sometimes that's actually a bonus if you are taking a different car than normal.

ETA: The model I have is the Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT and just looking online it seems like it would link to a phone for hands free calling. I have this feature in my car so I've never tried it with the GPS.
    Last edited by Snow mom; 09-16-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Thanks! Garmin has been suggested before, but I had no idea that some models may be able to connect to a phoene. I will look into that.