Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    I'm a lone leader this year, so I need another adult at all meetings and events. Out of 6 girls in our troop, so far there is just me and one other mom who have completed the background checks and membership, despite numerous reminders and info given to parents Any ideas how to get more parents on board?
    I tell parents that I expect at least one parent per family to be a registered member with background check for each girl in the troop. I explain why it is necessary. I hold parents meetings three times a year -- Beginning of the year in August, again in January, and at the end of the year. I have computers at my dining room table and will help parents register if they haven't already registered. In order to volunteer and support your daughter and her troop -- you have to be registered. We hold about 5 cookie booths -- usually 2 girls and 2 adults (although more girls can participate) and every girl/parent is expected to support at least one booth -- Must be registered to support a booth.

I also make a point to individually ask parents to volunteer for specific roles. We have a small troop of 5 girls right now. I am leader and year-round robotics coach. My husband is 2nd fall robotics coach and general volunteer. A friend (no children) is 3rd robotics coach (because my husband and I can volunteer alone together). 2nd girl's mom is co-leader. 2nd girls dad is spring time underwater robotics coach. 3rd girl's mom is cookie parent and coordinates pool time for underwater robotics. 4th girl's mom is treasurer and dad has volunteered for specific badges/activities. 5th girls mom and dad -- I'm still working on getting regular participation, but they volunteer adhoc to meet specific needs.

At the parent meeting we confirm troop expectations -- two way communication; make sure adult support roles are filled; and share troop budget/resources.; establish carpool support among families to make sure girls are able to get to and from meetings.

Our parent meeting always begins with the girls individually saying why they want to be in girl scouts and the parents saying what they hope their daughter will get out of girl scouts. Then the girls leave to work on something and parents work out details of troop support.

If you haven't been having troop parent meetings before, consider inviting someone from your service unit our council to come and help explain the need and benefits of parents registering and supporting your troop.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Percycat; 09-17-2018 at 12:34 PM.