Default Anyone ever taken the auto train?

We’re considering it rather than flying from NY to Naples in February... drive down to DC, take the auto train to Orlando, spend the day at Universal and then drive to Naples.
    Any experiences- good or bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have not but a friend has. It is a really long trip, the cabins are very small and likely will not cost much less than plane tickets. But if you want to do it for the experience then go for it.

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My in laws did, I think a few times. They lived in upstate NY at the time and MIL’s mother was in FL with failing health. So they wanted to drive and also to be able to bring stuff back as they cleaned out their condo.

I think they had a good experience overall on the train but I think the primary reason was to have the car without doing all that driving.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We did it one way a couple summers ago. We made a trip of driving to Disney for a soccer tournament, used our van as the team vehicle while down there, and then used the auto train on the way back. We really liked it. It helped that DH and DS are train buffs but my DD and I enjoyed it too. It’s not usually a lot of savings but if you want your vehicle in FL it saves you some of the drive and the cost of a rental. We had a family room with 4 bunks. Cozy but adequate for what is a pretty quick ride. You leave in the afternoon/evening and arrive the next morning. The dinner was nice and they played a family movie in the lounge car before bedtime. We would do it more often except that we are usually trying to maximize our time at Disney and minimize missed school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My family friend visiting in July did that. They live in Florida and wanted to drive up all East coast visiting family and friends. They wanted to use auto train on way back home as they were done with driving by then.

It’s pretty pricey. So if you’re doing this to save money over airfare, it isn’t really any difference in savings. But a very good option to do if you wanted to transport your vehicle as well. Just don’t miss the train! That’s what happened to my friend who left my house in NJ with not a lot of time to make it to their departure station in VA. Such a total waste of money and they still ended up driving home to Florida which defeated their whole purpose of taking the auto train. So leave yourself plenty of time to make to departure stations both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

I remember doing it once when I was a child. It’s a happy family memory, and I have no memories of all the different flights. If you have the time to commit to traveling that way, it could be a fun adventure for the kids.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethkott View Post
    We’re considering it rather than flying from NY to Naples in February... drive down to DC, take the auto train to Orlando, spend the day at Universal and then drive to Naples.
    Any experiences- good or bad?
    DH's SIL has severe flight anxiety that she's passed along to 2 of her 3 children.

When they do Orlando, they drive down to VA and take the auto-train. It works for them and saves on Xanax.

It would not work for DH or DD due to their ADHD, but to each their own.

I'm not opposed to the train, but as anxious as I am flying, flying is still better for me.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

We did it twice when the girls were younger. We enjoyed it, and so did they. I think the last time we did it they were four. It was great having our car. And since they were little, it was great not having to rent a stroller or car seats. The train compartments are the size of train compartments, you're not in a rolling hotel room. The dinner was much better than I expected, I don't really remember breakfast. You get on in the train in late afternoon, and you arrive early the next morning. There are no stops other than Lorton (VA) and Sanford (FL). Like anything, book early! Prices fluctuate a lot.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Thank you, everyone, for the feedback!! As of now, it seems like a great adventure... just not sure we’re willing to commit to the adventure!

Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

A friend of mine does it every year. He drives 10 hours from Canada to VA, then takes it to Orlando, he loves to relax, can work, have some wine and then only has 2 hours to Bradenton. He drives by himself so it's awesome and no traffic on the interstate to deal with South of DC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk