Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default speed queen inputs needed

Ladies - we're in the market for a new washer and dryer. I know there is a lot of love for the old speed queens, but some complaints on the new one. Per the sales guy, it's becuase their old versions' "normal" is now their new version's "heavy duty" cycle due to regulations on what a cycle is called. So he recommended to use the heavy duty cycle to get the same results as the old speed queen.

Does anyone have the new version SQ that can provide some inputs please?

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We wrestled with the same thing! I would encourage you to go to a local appliance store that has them for you to look at. That's what I did and I immediately had to rule out the Speed Queen due to its size - it's TINY (and always has been, but I had never really looked before) and we absolutely need something with larger capacity to handle larger loads, dog beds, comforters, etc. I looked at the SQ front loaders too - same problem, it's tiny!

So we went with the Wirecutter choice (LG - you can google it). So far we've been very happy - it cleans really well for a front loader - stuff comes out smelling fresh, even nasty dog beds.

There's also a bunch of youtube videos of the new SQ. Lorain Furniture is one channel to check and this guy also recommends the same LG machine.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 10-08-2018 at 01:59 PM.

I bought a Electrolux front loader set a year ago that I have been very happy with.

We have the previous version of the Speed Queen and love it. Got it last year, but wish I had gotten it a long time ago. It does look smaller than our previous washer, but size has not been a problem. It holds a set of king sized flannel sheets and holds a full/queen comforter if it isn't too thick. I don't think it would hold a king comforter, but we have a duvet cover so for as infrequently as we wash the actual comforter part I'm ok taking it to a laundromat.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    We have the previous version of the Speed Queen and love it. Got it last year, but wish I had gotten it a long time ago. It does look smaller than our previous washer, but size has not been a problem. It holds a set of king sized flannel sheets and holds a full/queen comforter if it isn't too thick. I don't think it would hold a king comforter, but we have a duvet cover so for as infrequently as we wash the actual comforter part I'm ok taking it to a laundromat.
    I agree with this entirely. I got mine January 1st of this year, but it's the old model. I thought it looked small at first, but have had no issue fitting things in there. I can get our queen comforter in there but that makes it really full. What I love about it is that it's so fast! I can't imagine waiting hours for a load to finish (I hear some of the front loaders take three hours a load??). Mine is done in thirty minutes and stuff gets clean. But I can't speak to the performance of the new models.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSuedeShoes View Post
    I agree with this entirely. I got mine January 1st of this year, but it's the old model. I thought it looked small at first, but have had no issue fitting things in there. I can get our queen comforter in there but that makes it really full. What I love about it is that it's so fast! I can't imagine waiting hours for a load to finish (I hear some of the front loaders take three hours a load??). Mine is done in thirty minutes and stuff gets clean. But I can't speak to the performance of the new models.
    Not the current generation. Almost all the cycles on my front loader are between 30 and 45 minutes, there is even a 15 minute quick wash.

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Not the current generation. Almost all the cycles on my front loader are between 30 and 45 minutes, there is even a 15 minute quick wash.
    Oh, thank goodness! I couldn't imagine living a washer that took that long.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We also just bought the LG recommended by Wirecutter. Glad to hear people like it as we haven’t used it yet.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    We also just bought the LG recommended by Wirecutter. Glad to hear people like it as we haven’t used it yet.
    The Turbowash makes this machine worth it - a normal load of laundry takes 30-40 minutes depending on weight with Turbowash + extra rinse (I always add an extra rinse) and comes out CLEAN. This feature is what made me get over my hesitation about the long wash cycles in front-loaders (compared to the 30 min of the Speed Queen).

The only time I have 2 hour cycles is if I'm doing white towels and choose the sanitary heavy soil option.

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    I bought a Electrolux front loader set a year ago that I have been very happy with.
    Same here. I seriously planned to be unhappy with a front loader but I really like our Electrolux.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast