Default Tell me about reflux in kids

DS is 8 - has always been very underweight (either not on the weight chart at all or at most in the 3rd percentile). He doesn’t eat a lot at meals before he says he’s full.

Lately he’s been burping a lot, and saying his throat hurts. The last two nights after dinner, he’s been crying saying that both his tummy and thrust hurt.

I’m going to call the ped in the morning - but could this be reflux? I wonder if this is what we’ve been overlooking all these years I’ve been worried about his weight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD Summer 2008
    DS Summer 2010

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It does sound like it could be reflux. I would also consider EoE, Eosinophilic Esophagitis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My 9yo has autism/ADHD/odd/generalized anxiety, and this is one of the ways that his anxiety manifests itself.

Not to say this is what is happening here, just another thought. Very similar symptoms.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Sounds like it definitely could be reflux, or something GI related. My 9 year old was diagnosed with reflux after his dentist found 8 cavities and a spot on the back of a front adult tooth last year. After we asked him about it, he definitely reported feeling acid come up into his throat and mouth, but didn't realize it didn't happen to everyone. We saw both our pediatrician and GI. DS has never been underweight though and doesn't have other GI problems so our pedi handles it now. We've seen an improvement after starting a PPI and he says he notices if we miss a day or two.

Mixed with the history of being underweight, I think it's not out of the realm of possibility for sure.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl