Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Shingles vaccine for 50+?

I was offered the Shingles vaccine at my doctor's appt a few weeks ago, and was not prepared for that option as I had not realized they now are recommending this new vaccine for those or us that are at least 50. I turned it down, as I wanted to research it.

I am not finding a lot of info to help me make a decision, but am leaning towards getting it. I know a couple of people who have had Shingles and it was awful/impacted them for a long time. OTOH, I am not someone who automatically wants to get every vaccine..so any input/information I should consider?

Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

A friend got it. It wiped her and her husband out for 2 days. But as she said, it beats shingles. Shingles is AWFUL!!!!! I will be getting the vaccine
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    A friend got it. It wiped her and her husband out for 2 days. But as she said, it beats shingles. Shingles is AWFUL!!!!! I will be getting the vaccine
    Thanks, that is good to know. I had heard that at least some have a reaction to the vaccine. That helps to know, so I can plan to get it when I can most afford to be wiped out for 2 days (which is never, but some times are better than others ;-)
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I plan on getting it. One of my parents' neighbors almost lost her eyesight because of shingles. She was telling everyone to get the vaccine. My next door neighbor got shingles 6+ months ago and is still in pain. My parents have had the vaccine, but they didn't get any adverse reaction.
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

The new shingles vaccine, Shingrix, is great. I have been on the waiting list for it since June! I am immuno-compromised due to drugs for rheumatoid arthritis so it is recommended that I get it now. I have had a few friends get shingles and they were out of commission for weeks and have ongoing issues because of it.

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    The new shingles vaccine, Shingrix, is great. I have been on the waiting list for it since June! I am immuno-compromised due to drugs for rheumatoid arthritis so it is recommended that I get it now. I have had a few friends get shingles and they were out of commission for weeks and have ongoing issues because of it.
    So am I and this reminds me whether I should ask my rheumatologist if I should get it now. I would not hesitate to get it. My friend just had shingles at 43. Awful doesn’t bring to describe the pain she was in.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My sister had shingles at 30; I do not want shingles.

I'd get the vax.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My mom just got the booster for that one yesterday and has felt miserable (just like she did with the 1st shot). She knows it’s better than shingles (which she’s had) but she has a wicked headache, arm pain and just general poor feeling. Should last 3-4 days. Just plan for it if you get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. These replies were helpful. I plan to get the vaccine on a Friday before a weekend without too much I can't miss.

I hope people still see this, but I was wondering if anyone know if it is a good idea to take ibuprofen or something like that before getting the vaccine in the hopes of avoiding some of the headaches and other side effects. I know this was suggested for me when I was a child and had some negative reactions to a particular vaccine, but then at some point I think this may have fallen out of favor? Anyone know?

thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast