mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Pet microchip annual costs?

We just adopted a rescue and she came microchipped with a Fetch ID chip. I went to update our contact info on it and there's a $20/annual fee. Is this normal for chips? A one time fee doesn't surprise me but $200+ over the course of a pet's life seems steep. I found a press release from 2014 advertising fetch ID as a $10 one time fee so it seems something has changed since then. Is this just what it costs to chip a pet or...? Thanks!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

So we had our dog chipped at the vet, and here's what I was informed: if found, our dog's chip would identify him as being a patient at our vet. In order to change the contact info to us personally, that's an additional annual fee. We just opted for leaving his contact info as our vet's office; they would contact us if he was found. Could you have your rescue's chip info linked to your vet? I would talk to the vet about it.

for Sandy Hook

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I am not familiar with fetch, but usually the annual fee is for additional help if the pet gets lost. My dogs chips have my info, I don't pay for the additional services.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Our pup has an Avid microchip, and it’s a one time fee of $20 to register her number directly to us. If we choose not to do that, anyone who finds and scans her chip would call the vet where her chip was implanted, who would then call us.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the responses. I looked up her current chip and it lists her rescue group as the secondary contact and primary is blank, theoretically for us. She was chipped before we adopted her so we have zero relationship with the vet who did it.