Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default tokyo any suggestions btdt

I am going to tokyo for the firs time for a business trip. I have never been to Japan before. Any suggestions on what to do (I have one free day)? what to buy? what to take? any businesswoman experience or advice? Thanks!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Be prepared to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of people. A friend recently visited with their family and found it overwhelming.

I lived there decades ago, loved it, but my info will be out of date. You could do some of the historical areas, maybe visit Shinjuku to take in all the tech sights.

Hopefully someone else with more up to date info will post.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The Oriental Bazaar is an amazing place for souvenirs of all kinds! If I could only go to one store in Tokyo, this would be it!

http://www.orientalbazaar.co.jp/en/index.html

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by urquie View Post
    The Oriental Bazaar is an amazing place for souvenirs of all kinds! If I could only go to one store in Tokyo, this would be it!

I loved this place too! Great for non cheesy souvenirs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I went alone for work as well - almost 20 years ago now ( ! ) but I think much is similar.

It's a surprisingly difficult city to get around - Google Tokyo addresses. They are done in the order built (maybe?) rather than sequentially as ours are. As a PP said, it's also REALLY crowded almost everywhere, and the trains are almost impossible to take because of the crowds and language issues til you work it all out - which you won't in one day.

Said another way - it's one of few places that I would suggest finding a full day tour. At minimum, a half day and then some time to shop if you enjoy that. One tip - most Japanese have some knowledge of English - but between the way it's taught, and the fear of 'losing face' they are much more comfortable if you write any questions (ie type them on your phone) in English than speak them, and allow them to write back.

I have some beautiful chopsticks I purchased when I was there - different than you can easily find her and easy to pack, so for me a perfect souvenir.

Have fun!

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by urquie View Post

So bummed I didn't add this to our Tokyo itinerary!!! I don't know how I missed this. We just got back yesterday from our Tokyo/Vietnam trip!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We went to Tokyo and Osaka in July. We loved it so much! So much delicious food everywhere. So respectful there. No cell phone sounds or conversations, as it is considered rude in public. People are on their phones and looking at their phones, but not talking on them aloud and with sounds off. Lots of people everywhere, especially on public transit. Public transport is very efficient, well run—punctual subways and trains. The first class bullet train cabins are really nice and comfortable. Check out the amazing food halls in the basements of the major department stores. Navigating was a little tough, but DH did all the navigating with Google Maps. He used it everywhere to find our way. Using Google Maps can be a bit confusing at times (especially when figuring out your perspective from where you are standing), but we got by. Make sure to have some portable phone chargers to juice up your phones at any time. Also, make arrangements for pocket Wifi (we picked ours up at Narita Airport’s post office), which was a lifesaver. The sheer number of Japanese Kit Kat flavors is astounding, and there is a yummy chocolate bar called “Black Thunder”. The huge, multi story Mega Don Quixote has everything (souvenirs, treats, etc). Have a great time!
    Last edited by MMMommy; 08-21-2019 at 03:09 AM.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but we're headed to Tokyo in late Sept. (my kids' public school has an unusual week-long Fall break) and I would LOVE any additional advice. I've been so overwhelmed trying to figure out restaurant reservations and activities. We don't have access to a concierge because we rented an AirBnB because DD2 has a food allergy to fish. We need a kitchen/fridge to prepare/re-heat her food when DH and I go get sushi. We are going to be in Tokyo only for about 9 days (not counting travel days). I figured jet lag will hit us hard (it did on our last trip to Asia) so we're not going outside of Tokyo.

Anyhow, I'm specifically curious if anyone:

- visited an onsen (there's a big one in Odaiba but my 13 year old DD1 is definitely not comfortable being naked in front of anyone so I may just take my 10 year old and DH and DD can do something else)
    - did any city tours (I booked a food tour)
    - visited the new fish market (I hear there are still restaurants left at the old fish market)
    - visited DisneySea (it's supposedly an awesome water-focused Disney park and we love DL but not sure if it's worth spending precious day there)
    - any other activities (e.g., renting kimonos and doing a photo shoot, going to the Ghibli Museum, going to see sumo wrestlers, participating in a tea ceremony)

Thanks in advance!

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but we're headed to Tokyo in late Sept. (my kids' public school has an unusual week-long Fall break) and I would LOVE any additional advice. I've been so overwhelmed trying to figure out restaurant reservations and activities. We don't have access to a concierge because we rented an AirBnB because DD2 has a food allergy to fish. We need a kitchen/fridge to prepare/re-heat her food when DH and I go get sushi. We are going to be in Tokyo only for about 9 days (not counting travel days). I figured jet lag will hit us hard (it did on our last trip to Asia) so we're not going outside of Tokyo.

Anyhow, I'm specifically curious if anyone:

- visited an onsen (there's a big one in Odaiba but my 13 year old DD1 is definitely not comfortable being naked in front of anyone so I may just take my 10 year old and DH and DD can do something else)
    - did any city tours (I booked a food tour)
    - visited the new fish market (I hear there are still restaurants left at the old fish market)
    - visited DisneySea (it's supposedly an awesome water-focused Disney park and we love DL but not sure if it's worth spending precious day there)
    - any other activities (e.g., renting kimonos and doing a photo shoot, going to the Ghibli Museum, going to see sumo wrestlers, participating in a tea ceremony)

Thanks in advance!
    We went to the old Tsukiji fish market area, not the new one. We went pretty early in the morning due to jet lag (probably got there around 8am), and we were able to eat some delicious skewers of mackerel, scallop, yellowtail, etc. There were plenty of food stalls, restaurants, etc to check out there.

We went to both Disneyland and DisneySea. The Disneyland side is still Disneyland, albeit with some differences. DisneySea is definitely the one worth visiting because it is different. Not the most thrilling rides at DisneySea, so if your DC like the high octane thrilling rides, there isn't much of that. I think our favorite ride might have been the Journey to the Center of the Earth ride. All kinds of interesting snacks and food at DisneySea. Many different popcorn stands (honey popcorn, Chinese Chili popcorn, curry popcorn, milk chocolate popcorn, garlic shrimp popcorn). Even demi glace potato churro! If you have a day to spare, I think DisneySea is worth visiting.

In terms of restaurants, there are just so many in Tokyo. You probably don't even need restaurant reservations. Too many options everywhere, so just pick what you like! We basically ate at casual, local joints versus upscale, fine dining places. And not once did we eat at the hotel, as there are so many dining options. Yakitori, yakiniku, Japanese curry houses, bentos from food halls in the department stores, ramen places, and DH found some good sushi.

Late Sept will be a much nicer time of year than July, which is when we went. July was hot. Even though the forecast said rain, it actually didn't rain much at all the entire trip. So we were grateful for that. Fall will be a great time to go!

I have to say that this was probably my favorite family trip of all time. I am very food oriented and loved the food in Japan. Loved the place, the people, the food, and everything there!
    Last edited by MMMommy; 08-22-2019 at 04:59 PM.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    Ghibli museum requires advance purchase tickets and is most likely sold out 1-3 months in advance.

Sumo wrestling was fun, but not sure I’d make it a priority with kids, unless you had extra time or a specific interest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast