Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Schools as polling places?

I think we may have discussed this last election season but just making a new topic in case other areas have updated.

Are there other places around the country that use schools as polling places, while kids are in school? Is it only certain age levels..ie. middle schools or any? Are you/would you be comfortable sending your child to school with random people walking in to vote all day?

Most of the school districts in our area are off today, but ours isn't. Not an issue for me right now because our particular elementary school is not a polling place. The middle school--that they will eventually go to-- is our polling place though and covers a pretty vast area. I went today at 9:30 and the line was longer then I've ever seen it (including the presidential election.) There was a police car in front of the building (presumably the school resource officer is my guess), but the entire time I was in line and then voting I didn't see any law enforcement or security once. In between class periods there were middle schoolers walking by in the hall. I'm glad they get the chance to see people voting but the security risks make me incredibly uneasy. I have many years before this is an actual issue for my particular children (and I am comfortable with just keeping them home for the day); but it still seems like a huge safety risk for those kids. The doors are locked normally and anyone entering has to show id before they unlock it. Today the doors were unlocked and no one asked for id until you were getting your ballot.

I am contemplating making a casual comment to the district admin but was wondering if this is the norm in most other areas as well, and if anyone else would be concerned.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our schools often are polling places (including my DD’s ES today), but our campuses are all open anyway. It seems to be a CA thing. I’ve always seen pretty much open campuses here but it was different in MI (where I lived briefly). However, my polling location in MI was an elementary school.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Many schools are polling places here but the schools are closed for the day.

amyx4 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Last month my teen took the PSATs at a high school that he's never attended. As he was walking in the main entrance the SRO said, "Hurry up, the bell just rang." SRO didn't stop my teen and ask what he was doing there.

At least on election day, your district is aware that there are strangers in the building. My district doesn't seem to think that teens streaming into the building in the morning is a security issue.

Our schools are polling places. I think it makes sense as they are public buildings and should be available for community use. We had a 2 hour delay this morning because of election day. I'm honestly not worried about it from a security standpoint. Our teachers and administrators were out in force this morning being even more vigilant than usual. Voters use the entrance directly into the cafeteria where they vote, children do not. I do wonder about it from a safety standpoint with the added traffic, cars and people unfamiliar with school carpool, bus lines, and walkers caught up in the mix. It was a zoo during drop off and took much longer than normal.

It's also an opportunity to teach our kids about voting and our government system in real time. But I could also get behind having the day off school to allow more people to vote while avoiding the craziness.

I don't think you are out of line to contact your school board rep and ask questions. If enough parents are concerned, maybe the school calendar could be amended in the future.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Our local elementary is a k-5 and has been a polling place for years. I voted early this year at our local city college on Sunday, but had I voted today I would’ve voted there.

DD1’s school is a k-8 Catholic school and has been a polling place as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    It's also an opportunity to teach our kids about voting and our government system in real time. But I could also get behind having the day off school to allow more people to vote while avoiding the craziness.

I don't think you are out of line to contact your school board rep and ask questions. If enough parents are concerned, maybe the school calendar could be amended in the future.
    I think the most glaring thing to me is that every other district in our area within a 30-40 mile radius that I know of, closed their schools for the day, because of the security concerns and traffic etc. I really didn't see any security in the building. I think if there had been actual security, like maybe in the form of a police officer hanging out at the front door, or at the very least, school security officers, I wouldn't have thought much of it. I may be more sensitive to it after the shooting in Pittsburgh and people mentally unstable being inspired by political rhetoric lately. I honestly can't remember if our schools were open for the previous national election, they may have been closed since it was a presidential race.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Previous school district had schools as voting locations and closed for Election Day. Current school district did not close and some schools are polling places. I didn’t think about it until I dropped off DS early for tutoring and it took forever as the voters do not know the traffic pattern so things were really backed up. I have a meeting at the school later today so will see what situation is like. I do think it can be done safely with extra security and ensuring voters are kept away from areas students are using.

The public schools are closed today, but for primary elections they aren't and still used as polling places. If I recall correctly, because my polling place changed to a community center, they vote in the gymnasiums which all have outside access. The gym doors and all other school doors remain locked to the public.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

One of our 5 elementary buildings is a polling place. No elementary school today in our district. My middle and high school kids are at school.

A couple years ago, during a Feb vote, we had school. We had police on site to ease people's mind. Parents volunteered to help direct traffic so that voters could park near where they needed to enter the building. They entered directly into the gym, voted, and left. There was no access to the rest of the building. I thought it went well, but wouldn't want it for every election.
    Kris

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast