Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our high school is a polling place and it is open today. I’m not sure I am comfortable with that honestly. My oldest just started middle school so it’s a non issue right now but I’m really hoping they eventually move the polls. I do think voting takes place in an auxiliary gym which is not adjacent to the main building but still.... most of the polling places around here are churches so I don’t know why this one can’t be moved to a church.

And frankly I’m not sure who votes here. I had to drive 1-2 miles past our high school to get to my polling place (a church) so I don’t get their logic. One would think I would vote there because it’s much closer.

Here it’s mostly at churches. My polling place is at a retirement community.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

My polling place is an elementary school, but not DS' school. I went around 8:20, so about 45 minutes after the bell. But I did think about all the craziness during drop-off and pickup time. We vote in the gym, which is right next to the cafeteria, so I suppose during lunch time teachers keep an eye on the comings and goings of students more than normal. I've never seen any security.

My guess is that they use elementary schools as well because there are more of them than middle and high schools, so it's more convenient to voters than just using the upper schools.

ETA: I also think it's interesting how often our polling place changes. We've been in our house almost 11 years. During that time, we've voted at the church right next to us, this school, a church a bit away from us, the club house of our neighborhood pool and now back at the school.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 11-06-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Yes it is a hazard. Virtually no parking and people wizzing in and out while trying to drop off. It is a 2 hour delay here but I'm very unhappy about it. It seems incredibly unsafe for traffic and other security concerns - elementary school.

There's another polling place within walking distance less than 2 blocks so i don't understand why ours is used at all.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

sdjeppa is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

In CA, my son’s ES is our polling place and has been for years. School is in session today. However, it’s in the library with access only from the front of the school. The rest of the school is behind locked gates, so people don’t have access to the school grounds. There’s only one door from the library to inside the school and it’s being monitored. Most vote by mail in ballot here, I’ve never seen a line at this polling location, so it doesn’t concern me overly much. I would hope people would avoid drop off and pick up, if only for their own sanity!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our elementary schools are polling places and we are here at school today. The polling is in the auditorium, so people enter and exit through there, and are not on campus.

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In my town everyone votes at the high school. Our schools are locked during the day but usually voters enter thru the side door and there are people waiting there and the gym doors are RIGHT there. You walk into the gym to vote. I cant recall of there are police officers. I will look when I go vote at 3pm. But it would be hard to start walking around the school. you pretty much enter right at the gym and exit at the same place.

I often think about this as well. I would feel odd if they did this at elementary schools or middle schools. Growing up in Boston, I remember my mom taking me with her to vote and voting was in the public elementary school closest to us.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids' schools aren't used (private) but I would want them closed if they were. I'm in the same metro as you and our school district is closed today. It made my life much easier as the HS is very close and the traffic was super light taking DS1 to school Even though they use schools in my district, my spot is the county library.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
    Many schools are polling places here but the schools are closed for the day.
    Same here. Election Day is a state holiday.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Several schools are polling places in my area and school is in session today. I go to a library so haven't seen the exact school setup but it sounds like they try to pull down hallway gates to limit the access area where possible or at least station a person in the hallway leading into the rear of the school. I've heard it's a total pain duting morning dropoff with all the normal school traffic plus voters.

I'd personally like to see the voting moved to other local places without the traffic and safety concerns but at the same time don't want to reduce the overall number of polling places and make it any harder for people to vote.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast