Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Teens and large venue concert?

DD1 loooooves Ariana Grande. I cannot stand her. I just can't. I watched a few episodes of "Sam and Kat" with the kids when they were younger, so really it's her own fault.

AG is coming here in the spring and DD wants to go. So, would you let your 15yo & friend, and probably a 13yo & friend, attend at a 20k arena without an adult? My immediate response is hell no, but people keep looking at me like I'm nuts. DD wants me to get tickets but I can't figure how many to buy. 4, 5, 6 (and I suffer thru with DH)? Note: DH will be way harder to convince that it's ok for them to go alone. I am at least willing to discuss.

We would probably drop them and stay in the general area. What do you think?
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

My answer would depend on the specific teens involved, but my first instinct is to say yes/maybe for the 15 year olds and no for the 13 year olds.

Disclaimer: when I was 14 I went to the presidential inauguration in DC with a school group and at some points went off by myself in that craziness, and a month after I turned 17 I moved to college.
    Last edited by gymnbomb; 11-07-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD did her first solo concert at that age (Katy Perry). We dropped off, were only 10 min away, checked in by text a few times, and then picked up right at the end. I'm not nearly as worried at a AG or KP concert as the hip hop ones she wants to go to now (at Red Rocks) with her older friends. For those, I'm back and forth on which ones I let her attend (based on the friends and yhe prospective age of the attendees). You know with AG/KP there will be a lot of younger kids with parents...
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I did that quite a bit as a teen. Started my sophomore year. We would head into NYC and go to concerts. If you have responsible kids, I would have no problem with a 15 year old. 13...probably too young and too much responsibility for 15 Year olds.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

If DH wants to go why don't you send him?
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Totally ok, especially if an adult is chilling at a nearby restaurant or such to be ready for end of night pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think it's ok. I'm planning on letting my newly 13-year old go to the Jingle Ball concert with 2 friends. A parent will be nearby, but not at the concert.

I recently took same kid (was 12) with a friend to Ed Sheeran. I let them go get food on their own, they knew how to get to the seats, it seemed totally fine. The only issue, in my opinion, is if something, God forbid, happens and there is an emergency, evacuation, or something like that. Make sure you have a plan, tell them to be aware of exits, to not panic, to possibly find an adult/parent to help them if they need something.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For me this is one of those it would probably be fine, but I prefer not to risk it things. I would have either you or dh go to the concert; or both depending upon if you would prefer to save the money or have both of you go.

I have been to an Ariana Grande with my dd in an arena about that size (it may have even been the same one; I'm not good at tracking where people are), and it was fine. Still I would send an adult with them, but that's just me!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

I was 15 when I went to my first alone concert, Aerosmith, at what used to be the Brendan Byrne Arena. My friend's parents dropped us off, went to dinner and a movie and met us at the end right where we said we would meet. This was before cell phones and such.
    At 13, I'm not so sure.

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For my dd's 15th birthday, I dropped her and a friend off at a large arena for a concert. The arena had set up a parents waiting area at an attached bar so I was able to stay on the premises. I brought a book and had a relaxing time. I thought that was a great idea!