Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Flu shot rant/question

DS will be 9 next month, and we have been going to the same pediatricians' office since he was born. We have never had a problem getting in for his flu shot. This year, I called around Oct. 9 and 10, and was told the earliest available date was Nov. 14. I thought that seemed far away, but went ahead and booked it. I've called back several time to see if they have had any cancellations, but nope.

The other night, I was on a local FB families page, and a woman who goes to another practice said she was having this problem and wanted to know where else she could take her kids. I mentioned my issue and several moms who go to our practice chimed in. Someone called in mid October and was told the last week of November. Someone else called last week and was told the earliest was the last week of December! We were all saying we've never had this experience before. Are these timelines common and have we just been lucky the past few years?

So back to the woman looking for other options. It's difficult because our state does not allow pharmacists to give vaccines to kids under 14, however several peopled suggested CVS Minute Clinics. Apparently they can do it because they staff NPs. Has anyone ever been to one of these? I understand that it can take up to two weeks for the shot to be its most effective. DH in particular would really like for him to get it now so it can be in effect before we travel for Thanksgiving. At this point, his scheduled appointment is still a week a way. I believe that the Minute Clinic will forward the record of the shot to our pede's office.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wonder if the pedi offices ran out of shots and are waiting for supplies and trying to schedule in a way that they don’t run out again? I tried to get my shot a few weeks ago, and pharmacies had run out until they restocked then I got it.

Re CVS minute clinic I have no BTDT with kids, but I get mine at CVS every year so wouldn’t have a problem with it. I’d be more concerned about waiting l.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have a similar issue with our ped EVERY year. We usually go to urgent care but Walgreens now gives flu shots to kids over 8 I think. We went there because our insurance covers it completely. I always end up eating the urgent care copay because of coding problems so opted for Walgreens this year. It was fine.

Our pedi is doing multiple walk in clinics this year so it's the easiest season I've had getting my kids' flu shots done. But I would definitely be comfortable using the Minute Clinic for vaccination in your situation. And yes, I would want it sooner rather than later but Nov 14th isn't that far off at this point if you can't find it elsewhere.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I called Monday and got in at our ped yesterday, so no problems here with a wait. I would be perfectly fine with Minute clinic or wherever you can get in this week.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We never go to the ped's office because of things like this, plus our ped is an hour away. Our local medical facility has a walk in clinic/shot room. You can just walk in and get flu shots. Another option that I have used in the past is the health department. Our county health department has shot hours 3 or 4 days a week for any kind of shot and you just walk in. They don't take insurance, but all shots are only $10. I would take him to a pharmacy if you can find one that will give it to him.

We started doing the minute clinic for flu shot a couple of years ago. My insurance will only pay for the flu shot if it’s through our health system (i,e. not at a pharmacy), and luckily the healh system runs a couple of walk in clinics in grocery stores in the metro area. I absolutely love it because they are new and clean and we’ve never ever had to wait. So in your case, I’d definitely go to a minute clinic for flu shots. Our pediatrician would have similar issues with availability, and the times for flu shots were so inconvenient (like 11am on a school day). With the minute clinic, it’s open even on the weekends! And zero availability issues,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My pedi has a walk in clinic for flu shots. You just show up between 8:30 and 5 and you get your shot (parents too!), no appointment or calling needed.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My pediatrician has clinics, but I used to find the scheduling and hours cumbersome. For the last several years, I've just taken my kids to the Target clinic (now CVS clinics, though still inside Target). We get in and out with relative ease, we can all get ours done at the same time, and they give you a $5 gift card for each person. Then I let the kids spend the $5 on a small toy, which makes the whole think kind of a happy outing rather than a drag.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    My pediatrician has clinics, but I used to find the scheduling and hours cumbersome. For the last several years, I've just taken my kids to the Target clinic (now CVS clinics, though still inside Target). We get in and out with relative ease, we can all get ours done at the same time, and they give you a $5 gift card for each person. Then I let the kids spend the $5 on a small toy, which makes the whole think kind of a happy outing rather than a drag.
    That's interesting. We're in the same state. Is this a CVS Minute Clinic but in a Target? I asked when we were in there one day because they were promoting the gift cards, and they said only 14 or older. But this is just a regular pharmacy. I don't think any of our Targets have an actual clinic.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast