Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Heart Papiltations?

Has anyone dealt with this, I've had them since middle of the night. It's like a heart flutter or double beat every 5-10 seconds and I instinctively take a deep breath to get relief from it. I've had them now and then in the past but not hours like this.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by janine View Post
    Has anyone dealt with this, I've had them since middle of the night. It's like a heart flutter or double beat every 5-10 seconds and I instinctively take a deep breath to get relief from it. I've had them now and then in the past but not hours like this.
    DH had them for a few hours and went to the ER because they wouldn't stop. They ran lots of tests and it ended up more than likely just being stress (he was nervous about an upcoming vasectomy!) but I would either call your doctor right now to see what they want you to do or go to the ER so they can run tests while you are experiencing it. There are a lot of simple things that can cause them, but I'd want to make sure to rule out all of the bad stuff.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Dh has had them and discussed it with his doc. His are directly related to stress. I would get checked out right away just to make sure there isn’t an issue.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have them, and they have gotten much worse in the past year. For me, they are related to hyperparathyroidism, but I know there are many causes. I would get it checked out just to be sure.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Please go get checked out. I had a similar thing, would happen as I was lying down falling asleep. I did not get it checked out.

About a year and a half ago, I had a sudden cardiac arrest (or sudden cardiac death, as one of my new docs likes to call it!!). My heart is physically completely fine, my arteries are clear, it was the "electricity" that went wonky. I basically collapsed dead on the floor of a gym after a completely normal workout. I was talking to someone normal as could be, then - nothing. It's like my electricity came unplugged. I apparently stammered one or two words and then hit the ground. To my complete good fortune, the gym was full of CPR trained people and an AED and I was resuscitated.

The only, only, only thing I could come up with when they asked me if I'd had any "warning" was the palpitations. They do not know if that is connected, but I haven't had them since. (I did have an electrical pathway ablated during a diagnostic procedure post arrest. And, I now take potassium and magnesium.)

Since this happened to me, I hear story after story about how incredibly common it is. A high school runner nearby went to the ER for palpitations and ended up also getting an ablation like I did. I heard his story and marveled that he probably saved himself from what happened to me.

Even looking back, people I remember hearing about that had a "massive heart attack" - it probably wasn't a heart attack at all, but an arrest.

So, go in, get an EKG and an ECG. Hopefully it IS nothing! But, please let the professionals tell you that!

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you everyone, and KHM. It's not going away, pretty sure coffee earlier didn't help but still it shouldn't be like this all night/day and I doubt I can fall asleep once evening (I'm at work now). I'm breathing deeply finding tactics to reduce it but not subsiding. I hate to spend hours in ER/Urgent care but this seems abnormal.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by janine View Post
    Thank you everyone, and KHM. It's not going away, pretty sure coffee earlier didn't help but still it shouldn't be like this all night/day and I doubt I can fall asleep once evening (I'm at work now). I'm breathing deeply finding tactics to reduce it but not subsiding. I hate to spend hours in ER/Urgent care but this seems abnormal.
    You really should go now and get it checked since it's been going on awhile. Don't wait until tonight. An ER will be better prepared for testing than an Urgent Care I would think. It's better to catch the rhythm so they can figure out what it is.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    You really should go now and get it checked since it's been going on awhile. Don't wait until tonight. An ER will be better prepared for testing than an Urgent Care I would think. It's better to catch the rhythm so they can figure out what it is.
    Agree — go now and if possible go to an ER instead of urgent care.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Low iron and hyperthyroidism can cause heart palpations and racing heartbeat as well. It was a symptom for me.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have chronic palpitations and when they got worse I saw a cardiologist. I describe the bad ones as feeling like my heart is turning over. After a battery of tests, I have a non-dangerous premature ventricular contractions (PVC's) and I take a low dose blood pressure med to keep them at bay. They are worse with higher caffeine days, and, as others have mentioned, stress.
    The Cardiologist told me that when he experienced them himself once, he could understand why patients rush to the ER, as he would if he didn't know immediately what he was feeling.
    There are plenty of dangerous heart rhythms that feel similar, so it would not be a bad thing to get checked out soon.
    mom to Billy 12/07

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast