khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Very very small bitch

So this is petty, but I'm going to post it anyways. Every year at Christmas I buy DH, kids, family presents and I try really hard to buy things that people arent always expecting. But every year I almost always know what I'm getting ahead of time. People ask me what I want and I tell them, but then they tell me they got it. I like surprises for presents so that I have something to look forward to, but I almost never get surprised at Christmas. This year my dad and mom asked me what I want. I told my mom I wanted an Apple watch and sent her the link on Costco's website. And now every time she talks to me on the phone she makes sure to tell me she bought that. DH bought me a frying pan on a All-Clad 2nds sale that I had to get on the computer and order for myself. And then we went shopping this weekend and we found a backpack for my trip to Ireland and he decided to buy it right then for me for Christmas. I appreciate it, but it would be nice to have a gift I didnt know about.

2nd bitch - DH knows how much I LOVE Caribbean vacations and think about them constantly and this weekend he talked to me about going to Aruba for April break. There is a sale today on the hotel we like to stay at, and then yesterday he said he decided it wasnt a good idea. So he got my hopes up and now they are crushed. I know we could still go someplace else that week, but I'm still a little disappointed. I love the beach and warm water especially after a long Vermont winter.

I know that wasnt much to bitch about but I had to get it off my chest.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

*Hugs*
    I can relate. I am "Santa" at our house for everyone too, usually myself included. The good news is that I get things I really want vs. random things I have very little interest in... but it's still a bit of a bummer on Xmas morning.

I hope you get your Caribbean vacation soon - sun and sand sound so good right about now!
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm with you! I love being surprised, but rarely am. I buy a few things for myself from DH, so clearly I know those. But then he also isn't sure of some things, so instead of figuring it out and buying something, he prints me a picture of it instead. Then I should figure out which one I want and buy it myself. For my birthday, I got a picture of a high chair for watching bowling. I wanted the actual chair! And, no I haven't bought it yet. First bowling match is in 2 weeks, too.
    Kris

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I get it. It’s not about the object, it’s about feeling noticed.

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I get it. It’s not about the object, it’s about feeling noticed.
    Well I like a nice gift too, but I wish people would realize that I like to have something under the tree that I dont know what it is. Sometimes DH surprises me and does a good job. But not usually on Christmas. And this year seems even less fun because my kids are getting older and they have very specific EXPENSIVE things that they want. So if I buy them what they want, I really cant afford to also buy any surprise gifts too.

Well DH texted me and said to book our vacation. So I just had to spend 30 minutes on the phone at work trying to get thru to the hotel to get adjoining rooms. Now I can look forward to sea & sun! I wasnt made for Vermont winters, the only thing that gets me thru is thinking about 85 degrees and the beach.
    Last edited by khalloc; 11-26-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DH is like you and I'm like apparently all your friends and relatives. I am trying really hard to respect that about him because I can tell that it is an important part of the way that he enjoys the holidays.

I'm so glad you got to do your vacation! That was the biggest bummer to me in your post-- to have anticipated a warm sunny holiday and then not to get it! I'm jealous. I have California winters which are quite mild by almost any standard--but although the low today is *just* 56 that's too cold for me, lol.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Aw, man, I was hoping (from your first post) that he was going to give you the vacation as a surprise! Still, at least you get the vacation you were hoping for.

I totally get it about the gift thing. And it's not petty at all. You deserve some "magic" at the holidays, too.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

*hugs* I SO get it, and I can't get it through DH's skull why. I think, for me, it's about showing that you understand the person you're buying for. That you've put the time & energy into caring about what they'd like. And I don't have anyone who really does that for me now.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yay for getting your vacation!!

I'm sorry you never get a surprise. It does take some of the fun out of Christmas morning.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I completely understand. DH procrastinates and might dash out right before Christmas which a) hurts my feelings that he waited so long when I took care of ALL the other gifts earlier and 2) hurts my feelings because he wants specific ideas at that point because he doesn't have a lot of time to "guess". I like to feel like he sees me and he pays a little attention to what I like. Shopping on the 23rd or 24th and then never getting a nice surprise or stocking isn't fun. I told him to be paying attention this year