Default When they outgrow the kids' sizes...

DD turns 11 in December. She is just about 5' tall at this point... and I think around 110 lbs. She wears my size shoes - women's 9. She can still fit into some Cat and Jack XL but only if it's meant to be flowy, like a tunic... the regular t-shirts are getting snug and short. Same for Old Navy XL... So do we go straight to women's at this point? Any other in-between options? I feel like women's will be challenging because the styles are older and the shirts tend to be cut wide at the neckline, which just looks odd on a tween... unless I'm just not looking hard enough.

She does seem to be preferring shorts, comfy pants, more athletic looking clothes vs. dresses and skirts these days.

We don't have a ton of shopping here, so I do a lot of it online. She is pretty much over HA, which makes me soooo sad because it's all so dang soft. Stores we do have locally - H&M (but I haven't been in there in years), Target, ON, Gap but only adults... gosh I can't think of much else. No big department stores. We may have a few small independent stores that I'm not familiar with.
    DD - 12/07
    DS - 1/11

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DD wears some Junior sizes from Kohl's. I buy a lot online too. We haven't branched out past that.

She can wear some women's too, like her pajamas are women's.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    DD wears some Junior sizes from Kohl's. I buy a lot online too. We haven't branched out past that.

She can wear some women's too, like her pajamas are women's.
    We do have Kohl’s! I haven’t tried the junior’s section there; we’ve gone there for dressier outfits in the kids’ section. I will give it a try.

Aeropostale has small size jeans, shorts, and tops.

DD (12) mostly wears XS and S now. Her jeans are from Aeropostale and Nordstrom rack.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DD1 is 12.5 and already 5'6"! I think she grew 4 inches in the past year. She can still fit into Tea Collection tween (I buy her size 16), Athleta Girl XL, Johnnie B 14-16 girls, Target Cat & Jack XL or XXL for tees and leggings. She wears a ton of my tshirts and can fit my women's XS or S dresses but the styles and fit just aren't right. I've struggled finding nicer clothes for her that don't look too grown up.

for Sandy Hook

Thanks for this thread! My DD is about 5' and 97 lbs. at age 10, and we've had a lot of trouble finding dressy shoes for her that fit (women's size 7) and aren't too grown up (heels on booties, etc.). I'll keep your suggestions in mind as she gets into women's sizes here.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD is now 5'6" and just turning 13, 120 lbs (shoe size is a 10). She does wear women's clothes now. Women's x-small and smalls have fit her for awhile, t-shirts and shorts have worked fine, and now leggings. She sometimes wears boys t-shirts too in xl, or xxl, and exclusively wears leggings and sweats (she would not be caught dead in jeans or other pants). Target has good options, as does old navy. TJ Maxx has a little of everything, so that's always a good bet for us. Also, I'd suggest looking at Dick's online for sporty clothes.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

We started with women XS--Old Navy even had a size 0 in shorts. And some Justice stuff fit in the larger sizes. I avoid juniors--some of those clothes are a bit much. She likes H&M and we found her some cute pants at Forever 21. Fortunately, she is now 5'6" and can wear a 4-6.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My 14-y.o. DGD1 has been in women’s sizes for a couple of years (now sz 4-6/medium, and — yikes! — sz 9-10 shoes). She has had particular success at Old Navy. Sadly, she has decided that Lands End, my previous go-to for all my family, has "boring" styles, but it’s still fine for basics like fleecy robes, turtlenecks, silk long underwear.

When she moved into women’s sizes, the biggest shock to me was how much more expensive everything was, even for very similar styles. Not to mention shoes!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Ok, this is so helpful! Women’s sizes it is! I’ve been trying to stick within the XL in kids’ sizes but I think it’s time to just suck it up and pay more...