Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We may hit the Kennedy Space Center again. We went when we took the kids to DW 8 years ago. But that is such a cool place! I need to piece together 5 days in St Augustine and see if I need to add in a day of filler. The kids may outvote me on Harry Potter :-) which would be fine.

Red tide???? Help???? How do I know which beaches are likely to have that?? We are landlocked--I know algae blooms in lakes but know nothing about ocean issues.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    We may hit the Kennedy Space Center again. We went when we took the kids to DW 8 years ago. But that is such a cool place! I need to piece together 5 days in St Augustine and see if I need to add in a day of filler. The kids may outvote me on Harry Potter :-) which would be fine.

Red tide???? Help???? How do I know which beaches are likely to have that?? We are landlocked--I know algae blooms in lakes but know nothing about ocean issues.
    It's too hard to predict if red tide will still be an issue in March. This year has been historically bad, but they say by the new year it should be much better. It's been really bad on areas near Sarasota, and other parts of the gulf as well as some eastern beaches as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Thanks for all of your responses--yes, I meant Sedona, duh...some days I really wonder about myself. So--now I am thinking somewhere near Orlando.

See update in OP.
    I wonder about myself too...I went right along with Sonoma when I knew it was Sedona

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I wonder about myself too...I went right along with Sonoma when I knew it was Sedona
    That’s what threw me off. I thought she meant Sedona until you also said Sonoma. Then I started questioning myself. I thought maybe there was a Sonoma somewhere I didn’t know about.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I live in St. Augustine and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

A beautiful new Embassy Suites hotel just opened on the beach here. Friends of mine just spent the weekend and from what I saw meeting up with them at their hotel, it was a really nice property.

Depending on when your spring break is, the ocean water may or may not be warm enough for swimming (of course this also depends on your tolerance for cold) but most hotel pools will be heated and the air temperatures should be mild.

Of course St. Augustine has much to do beyond the beach the fort (Castillo de San Marco) is impressive and the Colonial Quarter is a great living history museum (imagine Colonial Williamsburg on a much smaller scale.) The Fountain if Youth historic site offers similar reenactments...plus that water. The entire historic district is walkable...although the trolley tours are fun (some guides are better than others). With teens I would also suggest a ghost tour...all of the history plus a spooky spin. And there are some charming shops and great places to eat. I will gladly provide suggestions.

There is also natural beauty...kayak and paddleboard tours are available (I have a friend who runs a SUP tour business in town.)

Of course St. Augustine is about an hour north of Daytona and less than an hour south of Jacksonville, which offer entertainments and attractions of their own.

Wanted to add that red tide has not been an issue on the northeast coast of Florida. Also, I have friends who own a vacation rental property...but it is in the historic district rather than at the beach. I would be happy to get you details if you are interested.
    Last edited by ilfaith; 12-17-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Ilfaith Thanks so much!!! We are deciding between 2 ideas. I will let you know!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2