Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default UPDATE: Places Near Orlando for March Spring Break

I am trying to find a place we haven't been for Spring Break. We are not lie on the beach people. It would be fine to be on a beach to walk there in the evenings but not sit around all day. We looove history, nature, kayaking, hiking, sight seeing. Kids are teens--16 and 13. We don't need or want hot weather. Even 60s would be good. We are going March 10-16.

UPDATE: Why near Orlando?? Because I have a conference there so my airfare would be paid. We do NOT want to do Disney etc. Have been to Harry Potter in California. Would rather be on the beach within 2 hours of Orlando.

I am really liking the looks of St. Augustine Florida. Lots of history and kayaking etc. Where would you stay? I think on St Augustine Beach. We can walk to restaurants or coffee places and then drive into town or sights. I checked out AirbnB and VRBO. Any other property management places you would recommend?

Help! TIA!
    Last edited by StantonHyde; 12-04-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I am trying to find a place we haven't been for Spring Break. We are not lie on the beach people. It would be fine to be on a beach to walk there in the evenings but not sit around all day. We looove history, nature, kayaking, hiking, sight seeing. Kids are teens--16 and 13. We don't need or want hot weather. Even 60s would be good.

Places we have been or would rather skip this time:
    The California Coast from San Diego to San Francisco
    Phoenix and Tucson
    All of Utah
    New Orleans
    Charleston/Savannah

Places I am Considering
    St. Augustine Florida--top of my list--would love more info on this!!
    Sonoma/Grand Canyon
    Florida Keys????
    Atlanta??

Help! TIA!
    March or April.?

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We did Grand Canyon/Sonoma/Page area a couple years ago for Spring Break but it was in April. It can still be cold there in March. Midday is warm but cold mornings/evenings. We did love it though!

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Warmer US Places for March Spring Break

I have been to all of those places and currently live outside of Atlanta. Honestly, and maybe it’s because I have lived here for so long, I don’t think of Atlanta as a very good vacation spot. There are a few interesting historical things, but I think a long weekend here would be plenty. Not nearly as much charm as Savannah, Charleston, or New Orleans. St. Augustine fits in pretty well with that group, though. A similarly historic old city with a nice old downtown area. Walking tours and that type of stuff.

My favorite of the places you listed is the Grand Canyon area, but I think mostly because it is so different from where I live. Being from Utah, if I remember correctly, you might not find it as impressive. And I’m not sure what March temps are like there.

Before I even got to the list part of your post, I was thinking Key West. Historic downtown similar to the cities I listed above, but lots of other fun nature stuff, too. Key West itself isn’t very beachy at all, except for man-made ones. But lots of stuff to stroll and look at, great people watching, beautiful sunsets, and lots to explore throughout the keys. That would be my pick.

ETA: Do you mean Sedona/Grand Canyon, or is there a Sonoma that I’m missing?
    Last edited by BDKmom; 12-04-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

San Antonio? No beach or kayaking though.
    Kris

Thanks for all of your responses--yes, I meant Sedona, duh...some days I really wonder about myself. So--now I am thinking somewhere near Orlando.

See update in OP.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

St. Augustine will be great. Nice when a work trip lines up to where you can take advantage of the flight. I haven’t been in 10+ years, and I think we stayed at a Hampton Inn, so I can’t help with that. I do think staying near the beach and driving to the town is a good plan. I think biking is popular there also, if I remember correctly.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Universal in Orlando is a million times better, FYI. The 2nd Harry Potter section (Diagon Alley) is humongous and super awesome. I’d do one day there then head to the beach. Oh, and even if you aren’t “space nerds”/ that interested in space, the Kennedy Space Center is amazing! Paired with an outing to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge is a great combo https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Merritt_Island/
    Keep an eye on the red tide issues when choosing a beach. It’s pretty wicked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How about Palmetto Bluff/Bluffton, SC? My sister and her husband did a VRBO in Palmetto Bluff a few years ago and we joined them during DD's spring break. It was wonderful. We used a golf cart and bikes to get everywhere on property. We kayaked and rode bikes. It's about 30 (45?) minutes away from Savannah. That's where we flew in/out. We also went back and spent a day there. Hilton Head is also about 30 minutes away and we went there one day.

Whoops! Just saw that it needs to be near Orlando. (I started my reply about two hours before I finished it!) I don't think 4.5 hours counts as close.
    Last edited by kristenk; 12-04-2018 at 10:45 PM.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We really liked Kennedy Space Center, too. Even the kids who didn't really think they wanted to go enjoyed it.

The Blue Man Group at City Walk at Universal was a lot of fun. We all enjoyed that a lot. Kids were 10, 12, 14 at the time. You don't need admission to Universal for it.
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast