Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We were in Iceland about 20 years ago, and it was fantastic but I agree that it’s very expensive. The gas comment someone made is absolutely true - I remember it from back then, and just this past summer, we were in Norway (also known for being $) and spent the equivalent of $175 (USD) on one tank of gas for a sedan.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not on your list (because we haven't taken our kids to any of those) but our boys 2 favorites so far were

Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway, Denmark...wish we would have added Finland)
    and
    Greece (was an awesome mix of relaxing on the beach, boats and the history of Athens, probably DH and my favorite family trip so far)
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We go to some place in France every summer and our favorite place in France hands down has been Normandy. The people are over-the-top friendly, beaches to hang out on with incredible history, and great seafood. Unlike most parts of France, the French people are happy to speak English with you. We spent a week last summer seeing the various battlegrounds, American cemeteries and beaches and then spent one day (but I’d love to spend more time there), visiting the Mont St. Michel island/church. One of my kids commented that it’s like a real-life Hogsmeade village. There are tiny doors, winding, small passages to try out, fantastic architecture and it’s well preserved for being 1300 years old. It’s a lot of uphill hiking though so and can’t accommodate wheel chairs.

We particularly enjoyed being in Normandy over the D Day celebrations. Many French people have taken up renovating and restoring to working condition World war 2 era vehicles. You cant drive through a village at the end of May without seeing people milling about wearing historically-accurate Allied uniforms and driving tanks, jeeps, trucks and motorcycles. It felt like these villages were occupied! The handful of French people I spoke to about it said it is there way of showing their eternal gratitude to the Allied countries for their sacrifices in WW2. The veterans we spoke to (some American, mainly British as they are gettting on in age) were treated like celebrities by tourists and the French and happy to talk to anyone about their experiences. It was a fantastic experience, particularly for our kids.

We rented a house from VRBO in the area for 2 weeks but we also spent several days visiting Catholic pilgrimage sights like the basilica of St. Therese in Lisieux. Viewing the 900 year old tapestry at Bayeaux was also a fantastic visit. Whatever you decide, have a great trip!
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 12-08-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    We go to some place in France every summer and our favorite place in France hands down has been Normandy. The people are over-the-top friendly, beaches to hang out on with incredible history, and great seafood. Unlike most parts of France, the French people are happy to speak English with you. We spent a week last summer seeing the various battlegrounds, American cemeteries and beaches and then spent one day (but I’d love to spend more time there), visiting the Mont St. Michel island/church. One of my kids commented that it’s like a real-life Hogsmeade village. There are tiny doors, winding, small passages to try out, fantastic architecture and it’s well preserved for being 1300 years old. It’s a lot of uphill hiking though so and can’t accommodate wheel chairs.

We particularly enjoyed being in Normandy over the D Day celebrations. Many French people have taken up renovating and restoring to working condition World war 2 era vehicles. You cant drive through a village at the end of May without seeing people milling about wearing historically-accurate Allied uniforms and driving tanks, jeeps, trucks and motorcycles. It felt like these villages were occupied! The handful of French people I spoke to about it said it is there way of showing their eternal gratitude to the Allied countries for their sacrifices in WW2. The veterans we spoke to (some American, mainly British as they are gettting on in age) were treated like celebrities by tourists and the French and happy to talk to anyone about their experiences. It was a fantastic experience, particularly for our kids.

We rented a house from VRBO in the area for 2 weeks but we also spent several days visiting Catholic pilgrimage sights like the basilica of St. Therese in Lisieux. Viewing the 900 year old tapestry at Bayeaux was also a fantastic visit. Whatever you decide, have a great trip!
    I couldn’t agree more. Normandy is wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gatorsmom would you mind sharing your VRBO house? We are planning a trip with the kids to Normandy and I am feeling overwhelmed with all the choices and would love a referal. TIA

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineWedding View Post
    Gatorsmom would you mind sharing your VRBO house? We are planning a trip with the kids to Normandy and I am feeling overwhelmed with all the choices and would love a referal. TIA
    I’m happy to! A French couple owns the house we rented and they live in the house across the courtyard from it. They have said they aren’t usually there when their “guests” are there to give them space. They are very kind and just a wonderful couple. They have a rental manager who takes care of questions and checking in and out when they aren’t there. It’s a phenomenal house: VRBO 1338279a. It’s in Langrune-sur-Mer and it’s right on the beach. https://www.vrbo.com/1338279a The description says 7 bedrooms and 2 baths but there are actually 3 bathrooms. There is a bedroom with attached bath (with toilet and shower on the first floor). On the second floor are 2 bedrooms with king beds that are connected and share a private bath. No shower just a tub with handheld sprayer. That bathroom is newly remodeled. There is a queen bedroom with private bath also the second floor with an amazing view of the ocean. The private bath has a toilet and tub with handheld sprayer. The third floor is the attic and has 3 single beds in their own little rooms with their own sinks. There is a toilet up there too. All freshly repainted, very bright and clean. My oldest boys slept up there. We found great food in the nearby town (which happens to be very charming) Douvres-la-Delivrande. Have fun!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Such wonderful responses. Thank you for the post!! Saving this one!

We went to London, Scotland, and Ireland last July. London was wonderful but we were only there for 2 full days. We were in Ireland for 5 full days. Scotland was by far our favorite. We were in Edinburgh for full days and then drive to Oban...soooo wish we just eliminated Edinburgh and focused on the Highlands & Islands. Also wish we shortened the Ireland portion to add on more to the Scotland leg. Scotland’s history and geography were amazing! Gaelic and Viking influences kept our usually bored 15yo intrugued.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SASM View Post
    Such wonderful responses. Thank you for the post!! Saving this one!

We went to London, Scotland, and Ireland last July. London was wonderful but we were only there for 2 full days. We were in Ireland for 5 full days. Scotland was by far our favorite. We were in Edinburgh for full days and then drive to Oban...soooo wish we just eliminated Edinburgh and focused on the Highlands & Islands. Also wish we shortened the Ireland portion to add on more to the Scotland leg. Scotland’s history and geography were amazing! Gaelic and Viking influences kept our usually bored 15yo intrugued.
    So glad to hear you enjoyed Scotland, i hope to bring my children their someday to see where my mum grew up (Glasgow /Oban/Edinburgh).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2