Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default ICE ! at The Gaylord - National Harbor

Has anyone been to this? Is it worth the cost? I'm reading mixed reviews, some loved it, some said it only takes 15 min to go through. I know there is a groupon, but the only dates left aren't when we're looking. Any other way to get a decent discount? Trying to justify $40/person..... any input appreciated!

I haven't been, it's one of those things that falls by the wayside every year. Everyone I know who's been has enjoyed it, and while I wouldn't say they were thrilled at the price they didn't feel it was a complete ripoff. How old are your kids?
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We went when kids were 10, 8 and 3. We liked it but didn't LOVE it - not a negative but just to give you context. The kids really enjoyed the ice slides and went down several times. If you will be in that area and want to add on an activity, I would say go for it. If you are making a special trip for it, I would say you could miss it and not be devastated.

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It's very interesting for a one-time event. We went for the first time last year. I hate being cold, so I didn't enjoy too much, but it was a marvel to see what had been made out of ice. I don't remember pricing being $40 though. I would not go again, but others we know go YEARLY!! In my area, such things are raging--at Halloween there was a huge pumpkin type walk through, now there's the Lightup Fest or something like that--larger than life creations made out of strung up lights mostly. The tickets are $$ and I guess I don't see the draw. I'm obviously in the minority, because these things are very popular around where I live.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I personally don't think it's worth it...I haven't been to the National Harbor one but ICE is here every year locally. What I don't like:

You wear a parka that thousands of other people have worn. It will keep you warm, so you will need to, but yuck
    It's not a magical serene peaceful walk-through of ice sculptures on freshly fallen snow. It's crowded and loud and you are walking on rubber mat thingies under fluorescent lighting. The blowers required to keep the temps as low as they need are loud. There's lots of artificial air movement. Yes, you feel like you're in a grocery store freezer.
    The ice slide is kind of fun. But it's short, and it's slow - you think you'd slide down fast but you don't. Good for toddlers or risk-averse kids.
    Since it's so cold and loud, my kids just wanted to walk through and get it over with - took 15-20 minutes. The last sculpture is typically the "must see" one and it's neat and all...but by then you are sick of hearing the crowds and the blowers and you are cold and almost don't care at that point.
    Then afterwards you wonder why you paid so much to park and wait in line and walk through

If you go, be sure to wear your own warm hat and gloves.

SO MANY people seem to go - I'm not sure how many are repeat visitors. But...it's definitely not my cup of tea and my kids won't do it again either.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 12-07-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I personally don't think it's worth it...I haven't been to the National Harbor one but ICE is here every year locally. What I don't like:

You wear a parka that thousands of other people have worn. It will keep you warm, so you will need to, but yuck
    Do you live in a warm climate where people don't typically own parkas? Because otherwise, this is weird!
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Do you live in a warm climate where people don't typically own parkas? Because otherwise, this is weird!
    Yes, but I thought the parkas were provided more because not everyone shows up prepared for the temps that they keep the attraction at (and maybe it's also to cover their a$$es so no one can sue for being allowed inside unprepared). If you look at the National Harbor ICE video promo, everyone is wearing those exact same blue parkas. I'm certain they don't clean them between wearers, LOL.

That said, the attraction in the National Harbor video looks a little bit better than the one at our local Gaylord - the slides are longer for example. I bet the entire attraction might be a little bigger. I'm also sure the promo video makes it look as exciting as possible

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

ICE at the Gaylord is not worth it IMO, for the price. we've been just twice to the one in dallas area and i wouldn't do it again unless we had friends/family visiting that really wanted to do it.

it is cool but waaay overpriced. tends to be crowded, and it's not leisurely walk as PP said. i think the only cool thing about it would be the slides, if you had kids in the range that would enjoy them.

i would just make a trip to see teh Gaylord hotel (tends to be insanely decorated during christmas with trains etc) and just walk around and see that for free. pro bably would be longer than 20 mins too.

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We go nearly every year but have made it a tradition between Christmas and New Years. If you stay at the Gaylord, the tickets aren't timed and you're allowed unlimited admission. We're staying at one of the other hotels in NH this time and didn't buy ICE! tickets yet. Undecided if we will or won't. Other family members (who are local to NH) bought the groupon this year.

But the Gaylord itself is GORGEOUS for the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Yes, but I thought the parkas were provided more because not everyone shows up prepared for the temps that they keep the attraction at (and maybe it's also to cover their a$$es so no one can sue for being allowed inside unprepared). If you look at the National Harbor ICE video promo, everyone is wearing those exact same blue parkas. I'm certain they don't clean them between wearers, LOL.
    True...even though it's a colder climate here, people might not show up expecting 10 degrees vs 30 degrees.

OP, if you're a Marriott Rewards member you get a discount M-TH. I don't know how it compares to the Groupon.
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast