Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

we eat a lot of beans. I order 40lbs from Rancho Gordo every Sept and they are gone by August. The IP has saved me a TON of time and thinking for making the beans. I can go from dry bagged beans in my pantry to ready to eat/ cook with beans in 40 minutes. It also makes foolproof sticky rice.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I use mine for fast and decent homemade chicken soup for when we get sick, elderberry syrup, rice, pulled pork/kahlua pork, quick pasta and frozen meatballs & other pasta dishes (including mac and cheese and carbonara), one pot chicken taco bowls, hard boiled eggs, soups/stews (can't wait to try PP's southwestern lentils and rice!), an occasional cheesecake, too. I want to try making sticky rice. Any recipes?

That being said, I agree with others in that some of the recipes are a bit more fussy, and I do have to plan ahead. E.g., who will be around to do the quick release if we're still at soccer practice? I feel that there is a lot more I can do with it, if I give it more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    we eat a lot of beans. I order 40lbs from Rancho Gordo every Sept and they are gone by August. The IP has saved me a TON of time and thinking for making the beans. I can go from dry bagged beans in my pantry to ready to eat/ cook with beans in 40 minutes. It also makes foolproof sticky rice.
    Love Rancho Gordo. We are bean people too and we have been eating their beans for many years. I always cook mine on our gas stove, and I like being able to skim off the foam as they cook. I'm still figuring out if I like them as much in the instant pot...

I ended up buying a mini instant pot, and I'm surprisingly happy with it. I was very skeptical, but I'm loving it for basics like oatmeal and rice. I love being able to 'delay start' it. So thanks for all the input ladies!

I bought one convinced I should give it a try on Prime Day in July 2017. Read directions, watched videos and was still scared of the thing. Solid it in November 2018 without using it.

The more I read, I just don't think I would have used it. I have a love affair with my crockpot and my family likes many meals from it. We regularly eat in shifts and one of those being walk in the door and consume food within 15 minutes. The IP is fast but it is still a 30-60 minute process. If I have that kind of time in the kitchen right before we eat there are lots of other meals I can make.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I love mine, and the setting I use the most is the slowcooker. I'm starting to use the pressure for rice and beans and hard boiled eggs. Just for those things alone, it's worth it for me. I have not had a crock lot for years, because I didn't want the risk of lead in the ceramic glaze, so the stainless steel pot is wonderful!! I just upgraded to the 8qt size last month, when I did a great deal on one in Amazon warehouse for $73.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    The IP is fast but it is still a 30-60 minute process. If I have that kind of time in the kitchen right before we eat there are lots of other meals I can make.
    But the difference is you're not spending that time in the kitchen, that's what I like about it. Now that the girls are older it's not such a life-saver. But when they were younger, not having to cook and watch them at the same time really was awesome.

Can I ask, when people say they're scared of it do they mean scared of making bad meals or scared it will blow up?
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love my IPs, But I think By scared they might mean intimidated because it does take time to learn how To operate a new gadget. It’s not hard but there’s a mental block - it took me several months to get mine out of the box!
    there are tons of resources online, and I’ve set it up for friends to help them get over the initial hurdle. One time I had three friends over to inaugurate their IPs ��
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    But the difference is you're not spending that time in the kitchen, that's what I like about it
    Yep! You can go have a shower or nurse your baby or go grocery shopping while it cooks, and it will stop by itself. unlike a crockpot, it cooks on pressure mode to save time.
    I’ve had this argument with so many people who were reluctant to try the IP, and most of them love their IP now, but that’s not to say everyone will. It really is a cult though. I’ve never felt this strongly about any gadget 😂😂 It has been life-changing for me.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

I love my IP, but I do admit, each recipe takes some trial and error before the timing is just right. I cook a lot with chicken, and I’ve eaten some dry boneless breast out of the IP until I hit on the right timing. There’s a dish I love where the recipe suggested 30 minutes of IP cook time. For me, it’s perfect in 12, so that took three tries to get right. Once you figure out the timing, though, it will cook consistently every time, and there’s no stirring, or watching, or adjusting temperature. It doesn’t cook more quickly necessarily, (although there are crockpot dishes that take 8 hours that I can do under 1 hr. in the IP) but I can walk away and do other things while the cooking is happening. To me, that’s a real boon!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5